Pages

Tuesday, December 22, 2020

I'm good

Twice on Sunday Emma checked if I was OK.  

The first time I was lying on the floor with two tennis balls under my neck.  It is my remedy for a messed up neck when my chiropractor appointment isn't close by.  It sort of helps.  Emma walked into my room and said, "You good?"  She said, "I was afraid you'd fallen and couldn't get up."

I'm glad she's prepared for that possibility.  You never know.

Later she asked, "You good?" when I was laughing so hard that I started gasping for air.  She was singing a made up version of Small World with a cockney accent and Mark was singing Les Mis songs in a Scottish accent and then Adam started a Scottish accent and it all just was too much for me.  Sometimes being around these people is dangerous.

I'm glad Emma checks on me periodically.

Speaking of Emma, she asked Adam if they were going to go shopping together.  When Emma was a little girl, Adam would take her to work with him one day before Christmas and they'd go shopping together in downtown Seattle.  Adam's ready answer is nothing when anyone asks him what he wants for Christmas.  I think Emma landed on the perfect gift though.

She asked Adam if they could go shopping together and I think it made his whole year.

Mark had work and Adam and Emma were going to be gone on Monday and Adam said, "Will you feel abandoned being home alone?"

I said, "Have we met?"

Home alone suits me right down to the ground.

I took Mark lunch.  I told him it's starting to get embarrassing, me bringing him lunch and/or dinner.  Mark said it made him feel loved.  I said, "Do the other ushers mommys bring them lunch?"  

He said, "No.  But they wish they did."

When I take his food into the office I want to say, "He's not spoiled.  He isn't."  I don't even believe myself though.

When he was a toddler, for a little while, he refused to walk up and down the stairs.  He'd cry at the top or bottom and I'd lug him up or down.  I thought, this is ridiculous.  Then I realized how short lived it would be.

I was right. In less than a week, he decided he could do the stairs alone.  Then I turned around and he was bounding up and down them skipping steps.  (Last night he jumped from the top of the basement stairs to the landing with a terrific crash for reasons only he understands.) It all goes too fast.

I think I feel the same way about taking him food.  There's something about children growing that makes you realize, this won't last.  I'll savor it while I can.

I will try not to die laughing in the next two weeks.  But I'll enjoy every minute.

2 comments:

Olivia Cobian said...

You choke me up with your insights about how "it won't last." I guess because I am finding out how true that is.

Adam said...

When you don't like shopping, It's always more enjoyable if you go with someone else who doesn't like shopping.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails