Pages

Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Quilting

 My mom made a beautiful quilt top for Braeden and Anna for a wedding gift.  She used fabric from all of our wedding quilts and it is a treasure.  Anna wanted to learn to quilt and we decided to work on it during Christmas break.  

Yesterday my mom and Olivia and Ruben and Liliana came.  Ruben had an appointment and the rest came to quilt.  My mom brought quilt frames and tacks and needles and her $52 thimble.  My mom doesn't mess around.

She shared her expertise in getting the quilt on the frames.  I'm so grateful for her and Olivia because I 100% would have messed it up.  We all sat around the quilt--even Braeden, which was an unexpected pleasure.  We talked and laughed and quilted and it was sublime.  Adam was our caterer and provided lunch and dinner.

I remember once, years and years ago, quilting with my mom and sisters and both of my grandmas.  It felt like such a rare treat.  I think of my grandmas when I quilt.  Olivia and I talked about how they epitomized unconditional love.  I think of my grandma's grandmas.  Sitting at a quilt feels like a link to them.

I don't know if they had Braeden playing Beatles songs from his phone onto a Sonos speaker while they quilted, but I think a lot of it was much the same.  There's the rhythmic in and out of the needle.  There's the easy conversation.  There's the sharing of scissors and spools of thread.  I love it all.

We're quilting more today.  The only thing that would make it better is if Marianne and her girls were here.  

And my dear grandmas.


Here's the quilt this morning, ready to go.  I'll post more pictures tomorrow.  Adam took some yesterday and I need to get them from him.



No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails