Pages

Wednesday, February 3, 2021

And it's only Wednesday

There are parent teacher conferences this week.  It's a hard and long week.  There's the prep for the conferences which isn't difficult really, just sort of time consuming.  I need to assemble all the things and set up all the conferences (virtual or in person?  do you need an interpreter?) and remind, remind, remind.

I was at the school for over 12 hours yesterday which makes for a very long day.

I think conferences are easier for me than some of the young single teachers because the parents don't intimidate me.  I think they are harder for me than some of the young single teachers because I understand the fierceness and worry in some of the parents.  These kids are their world and they are looking to me for help.  Reading, spelling, math, making friends...can I fix this?

I promise that I'm trying.

The hardest part is the glimpses of desperation I see in the families of my students that I love.  Life is hard and life right now is extra hard.  

When I got home Adam reminded me that I can't fix that.  He said, "That's not your job.  Your job is to love them."

(And also teach them.  We start fractions next week!)

It's a job I love and I'm so grateful that I get to it.  But I can't believe it's only Wednesday.

2 comments:

Mark Dahl said...

I'm grateful for wonderful teachers like you. But you can't do everything. I know that what you do makes a big difference though. I'm glad you get to do it too. Your mom.

Olivia Cobian said...

Lucky students. Lucky parents. You are a blessing!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails