Pages

Thursday, February 18, 2021

Birthday

Yesterday the National Weather Service had issued a winter storm warning.

Utah Department of Transportation asked people to delay travel until 10:00 AM.

Alpine School District said challenge accepted.  I don't know who decides we will or will not have a snow day but I think they probably have nerves of steel.

I was very grateful for Joan as I slip slid my way to school.  State Street, the major thoroughfare was covered with snow and following the tracks of the person in front of you was the only way you could pretend you were in your lane.

There were 11.7 inches of snow at the Salt Lake Airport (a single day in February record).

I texted my family about the craziness and Emma texted:



I told her to send pictures.




The last picture she said she was experimenting with her self timer.  Also it took her 1 1/2 hours to get home because the blizzard started.

When Emma said she wanted to go see the sunrise on her birthday, I told Adam she was crazy.  He said, "No, she's not.  She's complicated."

Truer words were never spoken about my girl.

Also I'm glad she has a Subaru because she has wanderlust.

I asked her Sunday what her plans were on her birthday.  She said she didn't have any.  I asked her if she wanted to have dinner with us.  She said, "Yes!  I am done with class at 8:00."

I said, "Um."

That's pretty late for me for dinner.

We decided instead that we would have high tea in the interim between me being done with school and her class that started at 5:00.  I picked her up and we went to Starbucks for hot chocolate.  (I burned my tongue.)

It was marvelous to sit and chat with Emma.  She asked me a question and said, "But I want to know how you feel about it."

(It's nice to have a daughter!)

When Braeden found out Sunday about her lack of plans, he quickly planned a surprise party for her.  He asked me for contact info for her friends.  I sort of came up empty.  I knew names but not phone numbers.  It was determined that the party would be at 9:00 pm.  Mark was invited and he's been late for school all week but whatever, they aren't counting attendance this year.  (If they were, that kid would be at attendance school for days!)

While we were sipping our hot chocolate, Emma told me that her friend Katie had invited her over at 9:00 and Katie was baking her a cake and they were going to have a little party.  She said, "Braeden is coming over at 9:00 to give me a gift but I'm leaving right after that to go to Katie's."

I called Braeden on my way home.  

He ended up telling Emma about his surprise and the result was two parties which I haven't heard about yet because Mark is still asleep.  

What matters is that my girl felt loved.

Because she is.

I'm glad she's ours.  She's funny and stubborn and creative and kind and loyal and fierce and tender.  She's complicated and I'm glad.

2 comments:

Marianne said...

Happy birthday to fabulous Emma!

Olivia Cobian said...

I'm glad Emma was well-celebrated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails