Pages

Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Brown eyes

 I have a student who is a constant delight to me.  She is tiny and spunky and creative and since she has older siblings, knows the words to Phantom of the Opera and Hamilton and belts them out at times.  A while ago, they wrote imaginative narratives. Some of the students wrote sort of non stories about the video game Among Us and some of the girls wrote stories about unicorns and rainbows.  

This girl wrote a multi-page story about how the school was evil.  She wrote about how the teachers gave so much work because they wanted to make the students heads explode.  The teachers also turned some of the students to their dark side by making their eyes brown.  When I was reading it and the student was standing expectantly waiting for my reaction, I said, "Hey, I have brown eyes."

"I know," she said.

In the story, the kids eventually were able to triumph over the evil school and the teachers became nice again.

A few weeks later I was giving them a math test.  This student said, "You really ARE trying to make our heads explode."

I bent over and looked at her sparkly blue eyes and asked, "What color are my eyes?"

She shook her head and giggled and did her math test.

I told my family about it because I usually have stories to regale them with about these kids I spend my days with.

The other night at dinner, Mark was telling me about some confusing sciencey thing like he does.  (He will explain things to me like how some groups of infinite numbers are bigger than others....).  I said, "You're making my head hurt."

He smiled at me from across the table and asked, "What color are my eyes?"

2 comments:

Marianne said...

Glad I'm not in the dark side

Mark Dahl said...

Are Mark's eyes brown? I don't even know.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails