Pages

Monday, February 6, 2023

Weekend

Unexpected things happened this weekend, though I thought there was nothing much on the horizon.

Everything was pretty typical until about 4:00 on Saturday afternoon when Adam and I were pulling into the driveway after our errands.  Olivia called and said they were in town and going to eat and knew it was last minute, but would we like to join them.

I said, "Yes!" and "Where?"

She said, "We promised our boys Golden Corral."

And I said, "Oh."

We went anyway.  It was worth it for a little Cobian face time.  We invited Mark, who invited Marek so there was a whole group.

It was fun to sit across from Olivia and Edgar and catch up on news.  Adam told them about his recent trip to Mexico and Olivia told us about their recent acquisition of two new turtles.  I thoroughly enjoyed our visit and was glad we got to see them.

The second unexpected thing happened on Sunday.  Our Relief Society presidency was released last week and midweek, they asked me to meet with a member of the bishopric.  I assumed I was getting a new calling and I thought perhaps it was going to be one of the former callings of the new RS presidency.  

It wasn't.

I was called as gospel doctrine teacher which is on my lifetime short list of callings I didn't want.  It is intimidating.  Brother Adams, in the bishopric, told me, "Yeah, I'd be intimidated too."

Oh boy.

I teach every day.  I don't know why it's so intimidating.  I am 100% sure there won't be behavior problems.  I won't have to tell anyone to stop wandering around the room or keep their hands to themselves.  I won't have to confiscate any toys brought from home.

Still.

Eight year olds are easier.

Emma came over in the afternoon.  We had dinner and then played Qwixx.  Partway through the game, Adam reread the rules and realized we had been playing wrong.

So now we have a new game to play.

We haven't tried it yet, but if we don't like it, Mark said we can go back to playing the wrong way, because we know we like that way. 

(If you know Adam, you know that we will never go back to playing the wrong way.  A man who listens to Supreme Court arguments for fun is not wired that way.)

2 comments:

Geri said...

Gospel doctrine was so intimidating for me. It was easy in some ways but the unknown question that might be asked was worrisome. You will do great.

Olivia Cobian said...

Thanks for coming to dinner with it, even if it was Golden Corral. We loved seeing you!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails