Pages

Friday, March 10, 2023

Grateful Friday

It's Friday!  This week has been a short work week for me, but has not felt like it!

I'm grateful for what I'm hoping is a quiet weekend at home.

I'm grateful that I got to take a fabulous trip with Adam.

I'm grateful that spring is nigh.  The weather is holding onto winter somewhat, but that can't last forever.  A change is as good as a rest and I like when the seasons change.

I'm grateful for the funny things my students do that delight me.  2/3 of them are boys, which sort of sets the stage for the class.  They are rambunctious and physical and loud.  The girls are outnumbered and quieter and usually more civilized.

I have a reading intervention group of four boys every afternoon for 15 minutes.  It's one of my favorite times of the day because of the boys' outsize personalities.  They are all competitive and if I promise a game the last few minutes of the time together, they work really hard.

Yesterday we played a game called oink.  You get a card.  If it has a word, you read it and get to keep it.  If you get a card that says you fell in the mud, you have to give all your cards back.  If you get an "oink," you get to steal a card from another player.

The words all contained oi/oy vowel teams.  When the word was ahoy, I told them my pirate joke:

"What is a pirate's favorite letter?"

They all said, "Arrrrrrr."

I said, "You'd think it be R, but it be the C."

They cracked up.

I pretty much slay in 3rd grade and that is the only place my jokes are very funny.

Another word was toilet.  That also was somehow hysterical to them.  Then every time one of them got to steal a card, they picked toilet and the one who lost it mourned and tried to get it back.

3rd grade boys are not like regular people.

I'm still grateful I get to spend my days with them.

1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

You're such a fun teacher!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails