Pages

Monday, May 17, 2010

Abuzz

In case you were just going to ask me, "How was your weekend?" 

It was busy.

(In case you aren't interested in how my weekend was, you might want to stop reading now.)

Saturday, after cleaning the kitchen (which was in desperate straits) and dropping Mark off at his grandma's, Emma and I went to a mother daughter luncheon at the church.  (Braeden and Adam were rock climbing with the scouts.)

We had a lovely time, picked up Mark, met Adam at home and hit the garden center for plants, plants, plants!

We weeded and pruned and dug and transplanted and schemed and then sent out a distress call to Geri, Adam's mom, for help with our gardening.  We were having plant placement issues.  We promised her dinner if she'd help.

My mom called and was in the middle of telling me that I was busy and she'd been trying to get ahold of me all week...when I had to end the conversation because help in the form of Geri and niece Raelyn had arrived.  After putting all the plants in their places and a raucous dinner (Mark's friend Gavin was over too and when those two are on the scene, raucous is the only option) we had strawberry shortcake and Adam and I played a quick game of Catch Phrase with Raelyn (which is something of an adventure by itself).

The day ended and I hadn't ever really had a chance to breathe.

Sunday morning dawned early with a before church meeting, then church, then zipping home to grab our picnic-in-the-car.  We drove to Seattle and Benaroya Hall for a concert.  The Everett Youth Symphony was performing along with an Honor Choir that niece Talia and nephew Jackson were a part of.

Mark, after three hours of church, wasn't all that keen on 1 1/2 hours of symphony music.  He did perk up during Sibelius' "Finlandia". 

"Hey, I KNOW this song."

The Meldrums, a family Adam grew up parallel with, had a granddaughter in the choir.  She is 10 and sang an angelic solo--in Latin.  I loved it.

Our next stop was Geri's for a celebratory fete.  The Meldrums were there too and it was a cozy convivial gathering...until the friendly baseball game in the backyard heated up.

Adam, still wearing his white shirt and tie (I had commandeered his jacket to keep me warm on my perch on the deck) was the umpire.    The bases were 1) a pair of shoes, 2) a Bop It game and 3) a rock.  There were accidentally thrown bats (by my son, sorry Megan), in-yard home runs, discussion over just how to call interference by the trees, and my cheeks hurt from laughing.

Perhaps the highlight of it all for me was when Mark, who had already been hit in the face with the ball, emerged with a bicycle helmet and a toy shield to be the catcher.  He'd kneel down (His pants were already tragically grass stained from sliding into base--unless some laundry room miracle happens this week, we'll be purchasing Mark some new pants before next Sunday.) and peek over the shield with only his eyes and a fringe of red curls showing under the helmet.

By the time we got home, I'd been wearing high heels for 12 hours.

After our kids were in bed (and I remembered in a panic we have state testing for Braeden and Emma today), Adam and I discussed when we could have our new friends over for dinner.

Monday, no.
Tuesday, no.
Wednesday, no.  (Court of Honor.  Which means I get to sew on more badges.  Yaaaaaaaaaaaay.)
Thursday, no.  (We're BOTH double booked that night.)
Friday, no.
Saturday, probably not.
Sunday, no.

Adam said, "We're busy."

I think it's better than the alternative of bored and lonely.

But I'm not sure.

If I weren't so busy, maybe I could take the time to contemplate that.

2 comments:

Janet said...

What a BUSY (and fun) weekend! Thanks so much for including service to the Jorgensens amidst all of the other things you had going on this weekend--it's much appreciated.
p.s. Do you think Geri could be bribed with dinner to help US with OUR plant placement issues? In a few years, of course, when I might finally have time to give my yard some attention. :)

Clarissa Johnson said...

Isn't that how life is? It's always busy. That sounds fun though!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails