Pages

Sunday, May 9, 2010

My Mom

When I was growing up, sometimes on Mother's Day someone would speak in church and rhapsodize about the virtues of their mother.

My mom told us, "Don't you EVER do that."

But sometimes I want to rhapsodize about my mom.

Because I love her.

There is this problem though.

My mother is a poem I'll never be able to write
But everything I write is a poem to my mother.

Sharon Doubiago


I wish I had the words for my mother.  I struggle with the space in a greeting card.  I struggle here.  Everything I can come up with sounds trite and cliché. There's so much to thank her for--more and more I'm realizing as my motherhood experiences lengthen.  A great thing about growing up though is that my appreciation for her as a person, as a friend, expands.  She is fun to be with.  She has good advice.  She understands me.  She's as tough as nails.  If I ever needed anyone to help me...with just about anything...she'd be my first pick.

Happy Mother's Day to my dear mother.   Assuming there is anything praiseworthy about my siblings or me, it is because of your goodness...and the sheer force of your will.

I love you.

2 comments:

Olivia Cobian said...

I agree. She's really something, that Cor. So are you, by the way. Happy Mother's Day!

Hannah Stevenson said...

You do have a great mother...and I'm just realizing now that I never got to even say hello to her at Women's Conference.

Happy Mother's Day to you too Thelma...I think you are pretty great.

P.S. I love your new blog look!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails