Pages

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

The Wisdom of Solomon



What's the point of having a blog if you can't brag every once in awhile?

No point, I tell you.

So guess how amazingly clever I was yesterday? Wisdom of King Solomon clever, that's how clever.

In between picking up my children from their MSP (Measurement of Student Progress...not as zippy as the Washington Assessment of Student Learning--WASL--but you'll have to take that up with state superintendent of education, Randy Dorn) testing and piano lessons, we had just enough time for lunch at Baja Fresh.  (phew, long sentence)

Baja Fresh is a great place and one thing I like about it is that Adam negotiates the menu with the offspring and orders the food.

Except this time he was at work.

Mark wanted, "The Usual," which I needed some clarification on.  Braeden and Emma immediately started arguing because (are you ready for this fascinating tidbit?) Emma usually gets a kids' meal but then she's still a little hungry and she wanted Braeden to share a few bites of his burrito like usual so she could still get the kids' meal.  But Braeden didn't want to share.  Because what if Emma took a few bites and (gasp!) he was still hungry and then starved to death?

I listened to about 20 seconds of this exchange and marched up to the counter in an ignoring fashion.

This is when I was smart.  Oh, so smart.

I didn't get Braeden a drink.

I told Emma that she could share her drink with Braeden, or not.

I told Braeden he could share his burrito with Emma, or not.

Emma gave me a raised eyebrow smile of you're-the-biggest-genius-in-America (I'm guessing that's what she was trying to express) and Braeden sighed deeply and looked at me in a less complimentary way.

I shrugged and told them it didn't matter to me what they decided.

Braeden said to Emma, "Just a few bites?"

She said, "Yes."

He said, "And I can have some of your drink?"

Again, yes.

It was settled.

Then Mark said, "I would have given you my drink Braeden.  For free."

Nobody asked you Mark.

(And I hadn't thought of that so I'm glad no one else had either before negotiations were made.)

If you now feel like you have fabulous children that would never argue about really dumb things like bites of a burrito, then you're welcome.

Just trying to do my part for your self esteem.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails