Pages

Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Me, the Fashionista

On a whim I picked up this book at the library:



I took it to the pool to read while my kids swam.  I read/skimmed it in the 45 minutes we were there.

And I learned some things.

Nina and I live on different planets.

Which shouldn't be that surprising, I guess.  On the book it says, "From the hit show Project Runway and  Fashion Director, Elle Magazine."

I've neither watched Project Runway nor read Elle Magazine.

And I likely won't start.

There was good advice in the book...like get rid of stuff you don't wear in your closet.  It's an easy concept but every time I try to do it, I remember the cost of the perfectly good clothes I'm considering letting go.  Just because I never wear them doesn't mean...

Well, yes, it does.  I should get rid of them.

And I'll try.

The book recommended I "invest in the bones" of my wardrobe with "essential styles". Since we inhabit two different planets, I decided to add my version of her recommendation.  If Nina is confident to think she knows what every woman needs, then so am I!

The little black dress. ( I don't have one...I don't know where I'd wear one except the rare fancy date with Adam.  This would become one of those things I agonize about getting rid of because I never wear...)

I recommend:  An assortment of dresses/skirts for church.  Nothing too fancy.  Especially if you're teaching a primary class at church that feels like combat duty.  Long is good.  Less pasty white leg to show.  Also if you have a baby with a runny nose (which I used to have on occasion), the hem of a long full skirt is invaluable.

A classic men's white shirt (I don't have one.  She recommended borrowing one from your boyfriend/husband.  Has she seen the size of my husband?)

I recommend:  Land's End t-shirts. 

Cashmere cardigan or turtleneck (I don't have one.  Cashmere sort of makes me itch.  And like the comedian Mitch Hedberg said, "wearing a turtleneck is like getting strangled by a really weak guy all day."

I recommend: Cotton sweaters and cardigans.  They wear really well and keep you warm if you live under clouds north of Seattle.

A trench coat (I don't have one.  But this one is something I might consider.  I LOVE jackets/coats.  I live in a perfect place for jackets.  You never really need a heavy, warm coat but you almost always could use a light jacket.  I have a lot of jackets.  Why not add a trench coat?)

I recommend: Starting to look for a snazzy trench coat.

Denim (I have this covered.  I don't have any pants that aren't jeans.  See how cutting edge I am?)

I recommend:  Get some pairs of jeans you like and wear them every day.

A man's classic watch (I also like watches and I like big watches so maybe they'd qualify as men's?  I don't know.)

I recommend: Get a watch that doesn't bug you when you're typing on the computer. 

Diamonds (I have one, from Adam.  I love it. And him.)

I recommend: Big costume jewelry that's fairly cheap so if you have a restless child around you can let them play with it.

Ballet flats (I don't have any.  I'm not really that into shoes.  And I don't really like ballet flats.)

I recommend: Comfortable shoes.  They are directly related to happiness.

A classic high heel pump (I do like pumps...mostly because you can wear them instead of deciding what shoes to wear.  Again, me.  Cutting edge here.)

I recommend: Make sure they're versatile enough that you can chase down the Mark in your life after church if you need to.  (Or are your kids always behaved?)

A great bag She recommends that every woman should have:

-a tote or shoulder bag
-a clutch
-a medium-sized handbag, with a chain-link strap
-the must-have bag:  Chanel 2.55, Louis Vuitton Speedy, Gucci's Jackie O., Hérmes Birkin

I recommend: every woman should have:

-reusable grocery bags...big ones that hold a lot of stuff
-a big church bag...full of gum and mints and pens and loose paper (again, I'm thinking of Mark here)
-a purse...make sure there's an easily accessible cell phone spot in it
-the enormous bags from IKEA can be purchased for a song and when you have a lot of Christmas gifts to carry or beach towels to pack, they are the cat's meow

I don't know about those must-have bags.  I wouldn't recognize a Chanel 2.55, Louis Vuitton Speedy, Gucci's Jackie O, or Hérmes Birkin if it sat down beside me.

Maybe I'll write a book.  You can pick it up on a whim at the library if you need something to read while you're watching your kids swim.

The Suburban Woman's Guide to Sort of Slouchy But Comfortable Style.

4 comments:

Liberty Johnson said...

That was so fun to read. I'm with you! You are awesome and very stylish.

P.S. This is Clarissa.

Clarissa Johnson said...

I agree with Liberty (Clarissa) This is Desi by the way we're weard like that! any way I so agree with you about the jeans! I don't have any pants that arn't jeans eather!

Olivia Cobian said...

I'll read your book. Let me know when it's available.

Whitney Shane said...

You should write the book. I would read it!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails