Pages

Friday, September 15, 2017

Grateful Friday

Today I am grateful for school teachers. 

We went to Mark's parent teacher conferences yesterday.  Mark comes with me to those because there is no way to navigate that crazy school without him.  The first year Adam and I went without him and we would get lost and ask teachers where another classroom was and they wouldn't know.

Every kid that goes to Pleasant Grove Junior High deserves a prize for navigating those halls.

Without exception, Mark's teachers greeted him warmly and by name.  (Except his Spanish teacher called, "Marco!" and then said something to him in Spanish I didn't understand completely.)  It impressed me that even though school just started, the teachers know him and seemed to genuinely care about him.

Mark's doing pretty well in all of his classes (like Mark said, it's still early in the year, that could change).  We talked to his biology teacher and Mark had 100% on every quiz, test and assignment so far except for one F.

So I, you know, inquired about that one.  Mark fidgeted a little and his teacher chuckled and said, "Honestly Mark, what happened?  You didn't finish it right?"

"Yeah," Mark said.

Mr. Whitaker smiled at Mark and said, "You'll be just fine. You're doing great, except your mom wants to smack you."  Then he chuckled some more and I felt like maybe Mark has Santa Claus teaching him biology.  He's a right jolly old elf.

Adam joined us later and was there when we visited the drama teacher.  She told us which movies Mark should watch to prepare his British accent for The Importance of Being Earnest.  Then we discussed Jane Austen movies and the counterfeit 2005 version (because I have opinions).  I love that we now have "homework" for Mark that involves Jane Austen movies.

We talked a bit about Annie, the spring musical, and Adam asked if she would consider gender bending the role of Annie (Mark already has the curly red hair).  Then Mark riled her up by suggesting that there weren't many male roles in the show.  Drama teachers are excitable by nature.  She enthusiastically pontificated on the great male roles there were in Annie.  I love how passionate she is and that there is a junior high drama program in the first place. 

It was a lively and enjoyable conversation and I am sorry to everyone in line behind us waiting to talk to Ms. Schow. 

Every day I send Mark off with him stuffing binders and mechanical pencils in his backpack on his way out the door.  Every day I pick him up and he is starving and happy and has little stories to tell about his day.

In the space between, he has teachers that care about him and the subjects they teach. 

I appreciate those good teachers. 

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails