Pages

Wednesday, September 6, 2017

Calling in the Cavalry

Last night we had it on good authority (Braeden) that Emma wasn't feeling well.  I called her and she didn't sound well.  She had a sore throat and also a choir callback in a few days that she was stressed about.  Emma is not one to ask for much.  Adam is not one to sit idly by when his girl needs him.  He said, "Let's go down there!"

We took her a humidifier and some zinc.  I texted Braeden that Mama, Papa and Brother Bear were on their way.  He texted back, "Count Big Brother Bear in too."

Emma can be prickly to her brothers all day long but they'd drop everything for her because she can also be very sweet to them.  And they adore her.

We hugged her and I checked her for fever.  She seemed warm and then I tested her brothers and they seemed warmer.  I don't even know if we own a thermometer so we're really accurate about fevers around here.  Adam and Braeden gave her a blessing and I filled up the humidifier and plugged it in.

She seemed slightly happier when we left.  She's independent and wouldn't have asked us to come.  I guess we went more for us than anything.

*****

Speaking of the cavalry reminds me of horses.  The other night we were watching the BBC America series The Wild West.  It showed some ranchers in Colorado who drive their cattle into the mountains for the summer.  It was all very picturesque and then I said, "Wait a minute!  That's the wrong side!"

Adam and Mark said, "What?"  Adam wondered if I meant the cattle had their ear tags on the wrong side.

"No," I said, "she got on the horse on the wrong side."

Adam backed up the video because he hadn't noticed what I was talking about.  It was just a few seconds of a woman mounting a horse but it stuck out to me like a sore thumb.

Sometimes random things from my childhood show up.  (For example, when we are out in the wilderness on our adventures, I am quite capable of using the bathroom in the sagebrush.  I grew up doing that.)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails