Pages

Friday, September 22, 2017

Grateful Friday

I'm not grateful for trials.  People say that and I don't 100% believe them.  I think what they mean is that they are grateful for what they learned from their trials.  I am too.  But if I could learn the same lessons, without the trial, I would sign right up.

I guess the trials are the tuition we pay.

I've been thinking about trials and how different and sort of bizarre things happen that we never saw coming.  And then sometimes we lose people we love.  Death is so very universal so we should expect it but it still startles us.

Lots of times (mostly) I gloss over my own trials on this little blog.  Who wants to read me whining?  Also, I know gratitude is an antidote for whatever ails me so I try to aim in that direction.

I am grateful for some of the things I've learned over the years, in my trials:

I've learned that I'm not as strong/smart/capable/well liked as I thought I was.

I've learned that the Atonement of Jesus Christ can fill in those gaps and I can be better with the help of His grace.

I've learned who my people are.  I've learned who has my back and who lifts me up.  I've learned that other people can let you down.

I've learned that the world isn't always fair.  Try your best, do good work, stand up every time you get knocked down.  You'll still probably get knocked down again.

I've learned where there is peace to be found.  I've never felt stressed inside the walls of the temple.  I feel restored when I read scriptures and when I pray.

I've learned that serving someone else is often the best way to feel better.

I've learned that we are eternal beings.  We are here having a mortal experience that is a blip.  It doesn't matter what hard stuff gets thrown our way.  What matters is how we respond to it.

I've learned that families matter.  I love a safe spot where you can be you and you can have a rotten day and the people around you buoy you up and love you even if you're having a rotten day because you are behaving in a rotten manner.

2 comments:

Nancy said...

I loved this blog, I enjoy all your blogs but this one hit home to me. I agree with everything you said and I'm glad for the same lessons I have learned. I guess this is called enduring to the end! Have a great day even though it is like a winter day. I'm glad you are related to me. Remember we have the Jaynes Gene that makes us strong.

Olivia Cobian said...

This is so good!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails