Pages

Thursday, September 28, 2017

Books I read in September 2017

I had a good reading month!



The Orphan Keeper by Camron Wright ****

Loved it!  Geri loaned me this book and I'm grateful.  It's the true story of a little boy who was kidnapped in India and then adopted by an American couple.  The story was fascinating and I loved that the couple lived in Utah County so the setting was very familiar to me.  It made me want to go to Bombay House in Provo for dinner.



Shadow in the Sea by Sheila Nielson ***

When we read Forbidden Sea for book club, the author told us about this book which was the sequel.  I liked it.  The cover is weird but the book wasn't.



Maude by Donna Mabry ****

We read this for book club too.  Oh my.  It is also based on a true story, written by Maude's granddaughter.  Our general consensus was that the author was a little too self congratulatory and the book may have been more effective had we not known her connection.  The story was amazing though.  It is hard to fathom that many things happening to a person. 




The Cookbook Collector by Allegra Goodman ****

Another book I loved reading.  It started in 1999 at the height of the internet bubble, then the bubble burst, then September 11 happened.  Against that backdrop was the story of two sisters and the concentric circles of their lives.  Seriously, there were A LOT of characters.  



The American Heiress by Daisy Goodwin ****

Satisfied all my anglophile and Downton Abbey-esque proclivities.  At the same time it made me appreciate being American.   Daisy Goodwin also wrote the screenplay for Victoria which Adam and I are watching (and enjoying!) on Masterpiece Theater and when I learned that it made a lot of sense.  There are similarities.  The American Heiress is about a wealthy American girl who married a Duke and tried to navigate all that entailed.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails