Pages

Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Keeping it PG

This little town.  It endears itself to me.

I've been practicing lines with Mark for his play, The Importance of Being Earnest.  I love that his director made an already supremely appropriate play even more fitting for Pleasant Grove.  For example, there isn't a cigarette case; it's a card case.  The play is in the public domain so they can tinker all they want.

The other day at Costco, Adam was chatting with the cashier about the storms and fires and earthquakes.  Adam is one of those people that talks to people.  He said something to the effect that it reminded him of the book of Revelations and was chatting about it with the woman putting stuff in our shopping bags (yes, we want to use them).  The guy ringing up the purchases said to me, "I guess if it was prophesied we can't be too worried."

A Sunday School lesson in the line at Costco.

Sunday at church I had another experience that felt like something that would only happen here.

The Relief Society president, Marcia, came up to me.  She looked around carefully, like she didn't want anyone else to hear our conversation.  She asked me discreetly if Emma and I would like tickets to the Women's Broadcast in Salt Lake City on Saturday.  She said, "I thought I'd offer them to Nola and you seem to be friends with Nola and I thought you'd all like to go together."

I said yes!  She said, "I can't offer them to everyone because they would be gone in a second."

In other words, she didn't want anyone seeing her offering them to me. Sure, these ladies seem nice but I guess she didn't want to test that theory.

Later, before Relief Society started, she had talked to Nola who wanted to go.  Sandwiched carefully between her hands, Marcia passed me the tickets.  I slipped them into my bag.  It was the closest thing to a drug deal going down there's probably ever been in Relief Society.

I loved that Marcia considered that Nola, from the East Coast, has never been to General Conference and she wanted to give her the opportunity.  I'm glad I just so happen to be Nola's friend and neighbor so I get to be in on the experience.  We'll take our girls and have a great time.

What can I say?  It's fun to be a peculiar people among all the other peculiar people.


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails