Pages

Friday, October 22, 2010

Could Have Been Taken the Wrong Way



The other day it was either me or our bedroom/bathroom. Someone was going to win. I donned old clothes, rubber gloves and put my hair in a ponytail. I was taking no prisoners.

I think I burned the entire lining of my respiratory system with the cocktail of chemicals I administered to the shower. (Lately it's been Emma's job. Remember how she's a perfectionist? I have to amend that. She's selectively a perfectionist. And trying to teach my children to work is kind of like being tortured.  Every day of my life. )

I started in one corner of our bedroom and worked my way around. Finally dealing with every odd and end that had been placed for future contemplation. (I moved one stack from the bedroom to the schoolroom for future contemplation. Rome wasn't built in a day.)

A few summers ago, the neighbors across the street from Adam's parents were moving and getting rid of furniture. I became the happy recipient of an old dresser that I fell in love with immediately. It has a mirror attached which was perhaps my favorite part. I had it unattached though because it worked better in the spaces it has occupied. What to do with the mirror though?

(besides having it sit in the corner of our bedroom)

I decided to attach it. I like the mirror. I don't like it lingering in a corner.  I enlisted Braeden's help. He said, "This is heavy.  Have you thought this through?"

I said, "Of course not. I'm just doing it."

Then I added, "Hurry, I'm leaving to pick up Emma and Mark in three minutes."

He said, "Is that enough time?"

I said, "Probably not but I'm doing it anyway."

Because when I get an idea, I'm not one to wait.*

Between us we got the behemoth thing attached. And I made it in time for Primary Program Practice Pick-up. (I just didn't really look very presentable.)

That night, in our newly clean and sparkly room, Adam and I commented on the oddity of a new mirror in our room. Seeing ourselves at a new angle.

The next morning Adam said, "So were you freaked out by seeing yourself in the mirror this morning?"

I know what he meant, was I startled by a mirror that isn't usually there?

But I know how I look in the morning. I could have taken it either way.


*Further evidence of my impromptu nature:  yesterday I decided to get 6 inches cut off my hair so I did.  Titi talked to me the whole time about Mark.  I think she likes him more than she likes me. 

2 comments:

Olivia Cobian said...

I'd like to see a picture of your new hair-do.

Hannah Stevenson said...

I absolutely LOVE that piece of furniture...it's so YOU...classy and beautiful. What an amazing find!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails