Pages

Monday, October 4, 2010

Dickens' Latest

When my sisters and I were young, we liked to read...the same books over and over again.  Mostly silly Jack Weyland books.  We loved them.  My mom thought it was ridiculous to read the same book over and over and would tell us to read more variety.

She was always trying to get us to read "the classics".

One summer day at lunch, Marianne turned to me and said in a hoity toity voice, "Have you read Dickens' latest?"

I think I remember this exchange because usually it was Olivia being cheeky to our mother and Marianne doing things like getting us to do the dishes to surprise her.

Now I understand how my mom felt though.

My children read the same books over and over.  They're missing so many books!!!!

I compiled a list for each of them, complete with bribes.  (I love a good bribe.)



I culled the lists from the curriculum my sisters use in their home school.  If our children read 10 books on my list, I'll buy them a book.

Mark wondered if I'd buy him a movie if he read 50 books.

I wondered what movie he wanted.  He shrugged and said, "I don't know, there may be one..."

(Mark's less enticed by me buying him a book than the others.  I may have to rethink his reward.)

I think this all proves that you can take the children out of their mother's school room but you can't take the meddlesome out of the mother.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails