Pages

Friday, October 8, 2010

Flexibility

flexible |ˈfleksəbəl|
adjective 

capable of bending easily without breaking
• able to be easily modified to respond to altered circumstances or conditions
• (of a person) ready and able to change so as to adapt to different circumstances

Women, mothers, are flexible.  We've got to be.  We have to be deal with how pregnancy will alter our bodies.  We have to be OK with the manner in which our babies will be born.

When an infant needs us at midnight one night and 1:30 a.m. the next, we accommodate.

Braeden shunned anything to eat that originated as a plant except for apples (peeled apples).  I'd perfected the art of feeding my finicky toddler and then Emma came along and would eat no meat or cheese in favor of any fruit or vegetable I could come up with...including raw onions.  I had to adapt.

As mothers, we roll with the punches.  When our babies throw up in church, when our toddlers get a bloody knee or break something valuable, we deal with it.

We have to.


You can't survive motherhood without being flexible.  You have to be ready for last minute changes, for sudden strept throat, for unanticipated and irrational misbehavior, for lost/forgotten/broken... everything.

It comes with the territory.




One of my very favorite talks from the recent General Conference was the talk by President Uchtdorf.

When he spoke, I knew that he was speaking the truth.  It resonated deep inside.  His words have been ringing in my ears ever since:

"Let us simplify our lives a little. Let us make the changes necessary to refocus our lives on the sublime beauty of the simple, humble path of Christian discipleship — the path that leads always toward a life of meaning, gladness, and peace."

But how?

How?

A few days ago, my day was railroaded into submission by forces that seemed out of my control.  I didn't do the things that matter most to me.  I was high on anxiety and low on peace.  I kept thinking about President Uchtdorf.  I wanted to call him.  I wanted to present him with my life and say, "Please, help me!  Tell me how I can implement what you said.  I know you're right.  I know this is no way to live."

But I didn't know President Uchtdorf's phone number.  (Smart move on his part.)

Adam came home and found me in low spirits.  (Luckily Adam's resilient himself and he's seen me like this before.)  He hugged me tight and told me that he'd take Braeden to watch a football game and I'd take the activity day/cub scout carpool and run my errands and then later, we'd talk.  He said it like he was sure he could fix whatever was ailing me.

And when he says that, I want to believe him so I do.

Later, after all the comings and goings and Thai takeout that Adam brought home, I poured it all out for him.

And he listened.  Because it's what he does.  He loves me and he also doesn't like coming home to a despondent wife.

He pointed out to me obvious things, but things I'd been missing.

Because I'm flexible.  I'm accommodating.  I'm willing to compromise.  Because I'm a woman and a mother and that's what we DO.

But should we?  At the expense of our family?  Our goals?  Our highest and most true responsibilities?  I don't think so.  And neither did Adam.  He talked me through my days.  He made me see that homeschooling is my Job and I can't keep bending for the convenience of others.  It was all stuff I knew.  Nothing was taken off my plate.  I can't even really explain or describe it, but I feel different.  I feel lighter.  I feel like my priorities have been realigned.

And I think that's exactly what President Uchtdorf was talking about.

If I had his phone number I'd call him and tell him I get it now.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As your own school district you need to consult management and set the calendar. Maybe if you publish it people would get it that you have a full time job teaching and have now added a second job as a public school parent on top of the first. Practice the phase "No, I can't do that then because I am working." Keep up the good work. Geri

Jennifer said...

You inspire me, Thelma. Thanks for this post.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails