Pages

Thursday, October 28, 2010

Wishing On Stars

The other night after rehearsing a list of worries to Adam, he encouraged me to dwell on something positive.  Something happy.

He said, "Think about our trip."

I am tagging along next week with Adam on a business trip.  I am excited, but the control freak conscientious mother in me also experiences some anxiety about the prospect as well.  Adam's saintly mother is going to stay with our children so I am not worried about them.  They'll be high-fiving as they watch me go.  There are just so many details!  I want to make everything seamless and easy for Geri.  I appreciate her so much and know my children aren't always little angels.  Also they have a lot of different directions they need to go.  Also they're not good at hanging up towels.  Or manners in general.  Also...you get the idea.

So when I think about the trip, my mind spins with details and plans I need to arrange.  (And last minute civilizing of children.)

I decided to take Adam's advice though and while Mark was busy with a math assignment, I tapped a little on my laptop and explored.

I got really excited.

One day next week will find us in New York City.  Adam will be working (a downside of business trips) and I'll be on my own.  One of my favorite on-my-own activities is to visit art museums.  (I dearly love Adam but going to art museums with him is a trying experience.  We view things at different...speeds.)  In New York I either wanted to visit the Museum of Modern Art, the Guggenheim or The Metropolitan Museum of Art.  I did a google search (was there life before google?) and found that MoMA is closest to where Adam will be.  (And the less navigating I have to do, the better.)

I had a vague notion of what was housed in MoMA, then with mounting delight, I perused the website.

Amazing!

I now have a list of the must sees.  I'm wondering if a day will be long enough.

This is there:



And this is there:


And so much more.

I saw Van Gogh's Sunflowers in London and it thrilled me.  Starry Night is at MoMA.  STARRY NIGHT!

 

For my part, I know nothing with any certainty, but the sight of the stars makes me dream.

Vincent Van Gogh


For my part I know one thing for certainty.

I'm going to enjoy the Museum of Modern Art.

3 comments:

Susie and Jay Larson said...

So wonderful! I saw Starry Night in Houston about 8 years ago when we were visiting my oldest brother. The paint is so thick and powerful. The Dorothea Lange exhibit came to BYU when I was a student there I and I had to do a paper on that photo. I think of the Grapes of Wrath whenever I see it. The Dali painting I would lOVE to see. I studied in Spain for three months and saw many Dali paintings and even his home but not his most known piece. Take me too!

Olivia Cobian said...

I'm green with envy.

Cnbztribe said...

I wish I could tag along! Have fun!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails