Pages

Thursday, October 7, 2010

Variety is the Spice of Life (for some)

When Braeden and Emma were little, I'd come up with creative Halloween costumes.  I'd get ideas from the pages of Parent's magazine and armed with my glue gun, I'd go to work.  A lot of things changed after Mark came along.  I was busier is the main one.  Also, as I got busier my angst for Halloween in general grew.  I no longer had the time or inclination for costume design.

And Mark is fine with that.

Every year we go to the store and I give him his spending limit and he goes to work.

This is Mark's costume last year:



This is Mark's costume for this year:

Mark's only trouble with the costume is that his red hair flames out the back.  He wanted a helmet that went all the way around.  That's not standard with the $19.99 model at Party City.
While we were standing in line for the purchase, I said, "Are you sure this is what you want?  It looks like last year's costume."

Mark patiently explained to his mother how it was different. The little boy in line in front of us chimed in.  He also knew the obvious dissimilarities.  

Then they gave up on me altogether and started chatting about Star Wars and costumes past and present.

I know my duty.  I paid for the costume.  I let Mark carry the bag.  I told him that if he loses/breaks/maims the costume in any way, I will not be replacing it.

One costume per year.

Even if I think they look exactly the same.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails