Pages

Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Comeuppance

I've talked to a few mothers and had really similar conversations.  "How was your Mother's Day?"

slight pause

"It was...OK."

Sometimes it feels like the mother's job is to make everyone feel good about their efforts on Mother's Day even though they aren't always 100% what the mother wanted or requested when she was asked.

Why does the mother need an extra job on Mother's Day?!?

I was talking to Olivia about it and she said, "Maybe that is how Heavenly Father feels about our feeble offerings."

It stopped me in my tracks a little.  How often is my service about me and what I want to do/feel comfortable doing and less about what Heavenly Father really wants me to do?  Like a good mother He makes me feel appreciated when I do a subpar job, but I wonder sometimes if He's thinking, "OK, those handouts are nice, but what I really wanted was for you to prepare a great lesson." Or, "I'm glad you connected with the sisters you minister to that you're already friends with.  Great.  But how about that one who won't answer your texts and hasn't been to church in months?"

I could do better.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails