Pages

Thursday, May 23, 2019

Hospitalized

Late Tuesday afternoon we spoke with an endocrinologist's office and they recommended we take Mark to the ER, based on his test results and how he was feeling.

So we did.

He was admitted to the hospital and yep, I still hate hospitals.  (Except for that part about them saving my family members' lives occasionally.)  Mark was in ketoacidosis so he needed a steady stream of insulin all night.  They told us the next day would be full of education.

Adam and I had spent the previous night crying/worried/not sleeping so we were both pretty exhausted.  Braeden was in Provo with Anna and stopped by to see Mark.  He suggested he stay in the hospital with Mark and Adam and I go back home and get some rest.  It felt like a smart plan but also I didn't want to leave him.

But I was exhausted and knew I needed to be alert the next day.

I cried in the elevator; I felt like I was deserting the army.  Adam assured me that we were doing the right thing, even though it felt like it went against all our parenting instincts.  And I think he was right.

We got some sleep and Braeden managed the helm.  I came back to the hospital early and Adam (who was attending to work stuff) and Emma joined later.  Braeden went home to sleep.  Emma was put in charge of the notebook and pen and took copious notes.

The dietician we met with was very chatty.  Emma labeled that section Diet/Anecdotes.  I knew Emma was who we needed for note taking.

Everyone has been extremely nice to us.  From our supportive families to people from work to friends to Mark's school teachers, everyone is making us feel loved.

Mark's drama teacher, the incomparable Mrs. Rhodes, stopped by with her daughter (who is Mark's age) to visit.  It put a big smile on his face.  There is no way of describing how wonderful it is to have people love your children.  Priceless.

Two of Mark's friends visited.  They made him laugh and Mark showed them the fine features of the TV (how he can order food--important stuff) and the binder listing all the movies he can watch.  He showed them his "goal for the day" that was written on the white board.  The goal was REST.  They talked about finals (which Mark is missing some of today).  About finals, one of his friends said, "I just feel like giving up."

"It's what I did," Mark said.  "Well, my pancreas did."

Last night, after his friends left, Mark and Emma and Braeden and Anna got comfortable and watched a movie together.  In the darkened room, I sat in the corner with my laptop, working on my curriculum plan for next year.  I looked over at them and heard their chatter while they watched (because that's how siblings watch movies, with commentary) and it felt downright cozy in this hospital room.

Home is wherever your people are.

Emma insisted on staying with Mark last night.  My gratitude for my big kids and their willingness and resolute desire to serve their brother is real.

And Mark is a champ.  He is typically stoic and even keeled.  He is good at the math it takes to calculate his insulin and good at operating the TV--which would be completely beyond me.

I love that kid so much it hurts.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails