Pages

Tuesday, June 18, 2019

Denver

Last Tuesday night Mark and I flew to Denver.  It was kind of awful.  My navigation skills were really showing off their need for remediation at the airport and I hate flying anyway.  I always forget that I hate flying and I book a trip and think, Sure, great.  Then I get ready for the airport and remember I have to do the whole airport thing which is the worst.

Every time I am in the airport security line, I hate the terrorists just a little more.

Also, traveling with Mark + diabetes showcased another part of life I am fumbling at:  figuring out carb counts.  Mark can only eat the carbs he takes insulin for so there's lots of math and figuring out at every meal.

(Finally on the last night of our trip, I just texted Enoch and asked him for the carb count for a burrito and rice and beans at a hole in the wall Mexican restaurant.  The fact that he quick-texted back the carbs gives me hope that we'll figure this out!)

We made it to the gate (the correct one finally) and onto the plane.  I read my book and started to feel like everything would be OK.

Then Adam and Emma picked us up at the airport and being with Adam again righted me.

I love that guy.

We went to our fancy-schmancy hotel.  Fancy schmancy hotels we would never stay at otherwise are definitely a perk of Adam's jobs over the years.

We stayed at the Gaylord Rockies.  Wednesday morning, Adam was working and Mark and Emma and I explored the hotel.

This was the lobby:



Mark was, as always, ready to swim.  "So...is that the pool?" he asked.

Emma said, "It's the challenge level."

The chairs down there at the bottom give you an idea of how massive it was.

It kind of felt like what Disney would do if there was a Colorado Adventure instead of a California Adventure.

I enjoyed my time with Emma and Mark.  We went to the grocery store and to Wendy's for lunch (any place that posts their nutrition info online is a friend of ours.)

This was at the road perpendicular to the hotel:


Have they found that lots of people were just heading off into that field, thinking it was a road?

Safety first, Colorado.

Also, notice the skyline.  Emma called the flat prairie to the east, The Void.  It made her uneasy.

Here's the view from our hotel room:


Emma didn't even like to look out that way.

After our lunch excursion, we went to the pool.  In a rare turn of events, I actually went for a little swim.  It was sunny and warm and not too hot and extremely pleasant to sit poolside with my book.  Emma rescued a ladybug from the water and held it carefully on her finger until it dried off enough to make its escape.

Once Adam returned for the evening, we went to dinner then hit the store again because we excel at forgetting things.  We went to the pool again and Adam swam with the kids and I read my book.

After, the kids stayed at the room and Adam and I went for a walk.  He showed me the entire wing of the hotel where I hadn't been where his conference was held.

It's always interesting for me to join Adam on trips and hear him interact with people he works with.  It's like a little window into his work life which is so different from anything in my life.

I always am reminded of how hard he works and how smart he is.  Good reminders.

1 comment:

Gwilliam Fam said...

I distinctly remember Freshman year when you exclaimed “Look at the mountains! I love it when the leaves begin to change up there.” I was as used to flat, open views and I just didn’t notice the mountains much. I got there. But I can relate with Emma but oppositely.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails