Pages

Friday, June 28, 2019

Grateful Friday

Today's post feels more defiant than anything.

I'm shaking my fist and declaring, "But I'm still grateful!"

Because I don't know what else to do.

Mark and Adam were all set, bags packed, plans made, to go to a day of the high adventure today.  I didn't feel good about sending Mark solo for the entire camp and Adam agreed to take a day off work to take him for white water rafting today.

Except Mark's glucose monitor went off all night.  It kept alerting him of low glucose levels then he'd eat and go to sleep to be awakened again.

He finally gave up and slept on the couch.

This morning his monitor stopped working and he tested his blood the old way and it was really high.

So I don't know if those low readings were false or not.

What I do know is that Mark felt awful, like he does when his glucose levels swing wildly.  He was exhausted and discouraged and sick.  He went back to bed and Adam and I sat across from each other in the family room and wondered what to do.

And decision making in the 5:00 hour of the morning is not my strong suit.

Should Adam go anyway?  He was supposed to lead the evening devotional.  Should he wait and see what Mark wants to do when he wakes up?  Maybe they can still get there for some of the fun.

Adam said, "Mark is my priority today."

And how can I not be grateful for that?

It's OK; we're OK.  This is just hard.  I know full well that there's a learning curve and an adjustment period and that lots of people live with this and do just fine.

I just want my boy to be fine NOW.  That's all.

But I am still grateful today.  I am.  It's a big beautiful world, bigger than the frustrations of a glucose monitor that's a little haywire.

In separate news/something I'm also grateful about, I finished preparing my visual arts portion of my curriculum yesterday.  I have done that and drama now and it feels like a good accomplishment.

Here's what my office looked like yesterday afternoon:


Some people are neat and orderly while they work.  I'm not one of those people.  It was a creative process for me and creativity is messy.  Drawers open, papers flung, magazine files upended.

But I'm happy with my curriculum.

Also, yesterday I got a package from Amazon.  That is not an unusual occurrence but I didn't remember ordering anything.

Here's what was inside:


Toilet paper tubes!

Dear reader, whoever you are who sent these.  Thank you!  You delighted me down to my toes.


2 comments:

Nyla Bowers said...

Thelma. Thanks for reminding me to look for the good and God's tender mercies amidst the trials of life. You lift me as I read of your challenges AND the blessings you find along the way. You are amazing!

Olivia Cobian said...

I'm so sorry about the high adventure disappointment. Poor Mark! He's such a good kid, and I know he's going to come out of his fiery furnace even better!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails