Pages

Wednesday, February 12, 2020

Teacher life

One of my fellow teachers sent this from Talk About Teaching by Charlotte Danielson.

The practice of teaching involves a far more complex task environment than does that of
medicine. The teacher is confronted not with a single patient but with a classroom filled
with 25–35 youngsters. The teacher’s goals are multiple; the school’s obligations far from unitary. Even in the ubiquitous primary reading group, the teacher must simultaneously be concerned with the learning of decoding skills as well as comprehension, with motivation and love of reading as well as word attack, and must both monitor the performance of the six or eight students in front of her while not losing touch with the other two dozen in the room. Moreover, individual differences among pupils are a fact of life, exacerbated even further by the worthwhile policies of mainstreaming and school integration.  The only time a physician could possibly encounter a situation of comparable complexity would be in the emergency room of a hospital during or after a natural disaster. (p. 258)

I don't want to take anything away from doctors, because they save actual lives, but it made me feel a bit validated when I am trying to do reading groups.

Also, it being Friendship Week, today is crazy sock day.  (The student council came up with these things and they're 6th graders, so....)

I asked Adam and Mark if they had any crazy socks and that resulted in a trip to Target.


I look ridiculous but Adam said my students will love it.

They love it if I let them draw instead of practice cursive during read aloud time.  I don't need to dress like a clown if I want to make them happy.

Here I go though...

1 comment:

Olivia Cobian said...

Good job getting into the dress-up days. That's something I can really get behind!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails