Pages

Tuesday, March 5, 2024

Is there a doctor in the house?!?

We have Monday Funday on (you guessed it) Mondays.  It is 15 minutes of free time for students if they finished their iReady lessons on the computer the week before.  One third grade classroom is "the work room" and the other two are play rooms.  

Yesterday my new student had finished her work but in the ensuing chaos of the third grade mixing up between work room and play rooms, she came up to me with eyebrows raised questioningly.  I looked around and none of my Spanish speakers were in the room.

"Is there someone who speaks Spanish?" I asked over the cacophony.  A boy from Miriam's class was heavily involved in a domino situation but he came hurrying over to me.  I asked him to explain to my student what was happening.  He said, "Ah," and broke into Spanish and explained it all.  She smiled and he smiled and they went their separate ways to play.

It was later that I realized the boy who helped me had been new to the country in August.  He hadn't spoken any English when he arrived.

I will never not be so impressed with these kids!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails