Pages

Monday, March 18, 2024

Weekend

 Friday I met Emma at Ulta after work.  I told her for my birthday I wanted to go make-up shopping and I wanted her help.  That girl hates a clothing store, but she navigates Ulta like a native.  She steered me away from brands that were "not great" and when I was looking at one brand, she walked away and said, "They test on animals."

She asked me what my "goals" were.  I didn't know.

I was clearly out of my depth.  

We got some things that I may or may not be able to use properly and I got a teeny tiny bottle of Gucci perfume that I loved.  (Teeny tiny so I wouldn't need a second mortgage.)

It was fun.

We had a little time so we walked next door to Nordstrom Rack.  We both found some cute cute shoes so that was even more fun.  Chipotle was close, so we walked there for dinner.  I feel an ease and joy being with Emma that I wouldn't have believed possible when she was in junior high.  She is a good time. 

I went to use the bathroom and when I got back to the table, she was looking at her phone with a kind of stricken face.  I said, "What's wrong!?!" 

She said, "I want to be at that beach."

Mark and Adam were at a beach, flying a kite and sending videos.  I was glad that was the only tragedy in her life at the moment.

From there we went to Clarissa's school to watch the play she directed and last minute played Jack's mother because the actor that was supposed to play her quit.  

Clarissa started the drama program from scratch and I was so impressed with her.  Most of the students had never been in any kind of show before, but they were up there on stage, singing and acting their little hearts out.  At the curtain call, I looked at all those happy faces and the stage crew lining the wall and I thought, "Clarissa did this!"  One person can make a difference in their corner of the world!

We sat by Marianne and Hyrum and Liberty and you've never met a more appreciative audience member than Hyrum.  

Saturday I did my little household chores and reorganized the last bathroom drawer and went clothes shopping.  When Adam used to regularly go to London, I would paint walls and move furniture.

Now, apparently, I shop.  (I don't have anyone around to help me move furniture anyway.)

Jamie and Holly and I went out on the town Saturday night!  We got burgers at Chom and in the car Holly got really mad at one of her kids over the phone.  He's 13 and we bonded over parenting.  I told her the gem of truth Geri shared with me:  if you can let your sons live between the ages of 11 and 15, you can do anything.  Jamie and I promised her it gets better.

It was fun to ride to Salt Lake City together and chat and listen to BTS, which Jamie insisted on because it is her daughter's favorite.  Her daughter is currently serving a mission, but BTS keeps her close to Jamie's heart.  

Who am I to doubt my life coach?

The Bored Teachers comedy show was 95% percent hilarious and 5% rude.  I think in balance, that is too much rudeness for me and I wouldn't recommend it or go again.  I think comedians who don't need to resort to crassness are the truly humorous.  

I had a good time with my friends though.  And it was fun being with so many teacher friends.  In the elevator in the parking garage we were all comparing which schools we taught at.  They are my people.

I was asleep when Adam got home, but he woke me up, as instructed, and I was happy to see him.

On Sunday we watched the Relief Society broadcast commemorating the birthday of the Relief Society during church instead of later.  I loved it!  Those are even more my people.  I loved being reminded of truths I know and feeling love for the women sitting shoulder to shoulder with me in that room, love for my mom and sisters and daughters (including Anna!) and granddaughter and grandmothers and nieces, and love from my Heavenly Father.

As Sunday afternoon progressed, I felt more and more worn out.  I took a restless nap and finally called off Sunday dinner.  When Adam got home, we snacked and took a drive.  My requirement was that I wasn't going to get out of the car.  I was just tired.  It was really nice to be with Adam again.


2 comments:

Mark Dahl said...

Sounds like you had a nice weekend. Love all of your posts.

Marianne said...

I much prefer shopping to furniture moving!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails