Pages

Monday, March 4, 2024

Weekend

I changed out some decor from winter to spring on Saturday--in the middle of a blizzard.  It may have been snowing, but the quality of light tells me spring is on its way and I shifted things around accordingly.  I used to be very enthusiastic about decorating seasonally.  I still hit Christmas with gusto but everything else gets a more subtle shift.  Less Hobby Lobby seasonal aisle and more put a plant on the mantel.

Ambling around the house, changing a picture here and putting a candle there makes me happy.  Also, throw pillows, how I love thee.

I pruned my plants and I'm trying to make little trees out of one of my jade plants and it isn't going all that well.  They look less like little trees and more like, "Wow, what happened to that plant?!?"  I'm trying.

Felicia (my fiddle leaf fig) has been a bit on struggle street.  I have been giving her a root treatment and she isn't getting worse, but I cut off some of the damaged leaves and then some of the very healthy leaves on the top and that is always painful because they're so pretty, but she can't get too tall.  It isn't an actual jungle we've got here, Felicia.

I have embarked on deep cleaning the bathroom.  I took everything out from under the sink on Adam's side and emptied his drawer on the counter and cleaned the inside of the drawer and under the sink.  I even washed out the little divided container that lives in the drawer.  

I announced to Adam to pick what he wanted to keep and throw the rest away.  Then I said, "Do you want to arrange the stuff back in your drawer or do you want me to?"  (I do like arranging things into those little divided containers.)

I don't think he ever answered my question because he was floored by it.

"This is my drawer?!?"

I said "Yes."

He said, "I never knew this was my drawer."

I said, "It's always been your drawer."

Granted, I use some of the stuff in there, but in my mind, it's his drawer.  

He started putting things back in the drawer, still marveling.  "I didn't know it was my drawer." (Next he's going to realize the other three drawers are mine.)

We bought new lightbulbs for the can light above the tub and the weird shower light above the shower.  One of the options said it would last 45 years.  It's possible to buy a lightbulb that will outlive us.  What a time to be alive!

I ordered new rugs for the bathroom too (yet to arrive).  The place is really getting a spruce up!

All the little domestic pursuits done, Adam and I had dinner with our neighbors, Rod and Kim.  We met at Via 313 for Detroit style pizza.  The waiter came twice to take our orders and we'd been talking too much and hadn't looked at the menus yet.  That's when you know you're going to have a good dinner conversation.

When the waiter came the third time, Rod said, "Finally!" and the waiter looked a little taken aback/confused, but I thought it was funny.

We thoroughly enjoyed visiting and it is wonderful how many good people there are in the world that you can connect with and relate to.  I love having friends that we will never run out of things to say to each other.

Sunday was Liliana's birthday.  Last Sunday, Adam and I quizzed her about what she would like for a birthday dinner.  She was very noncommittal and said anything was fine.  I asked her what kind of birthday cake her mom made and she said banana cream pie.  I quizzed her on various types of food, "Italian or Mexican?" "Chicken or beef?" We finally landed on Asian bowls which for us is just whatever kind of Asian flavored meat we come up with in bowls with rice and vegetables.  Anna thinks anything in a bowl tastes better and I agree with her.

Olivia found out about the pie and called me and said, "I am so sorry Lili said banana cream pie!  You can make something easier!  I hope you have an easy way to make banana cream pie."

She was worried I was going to make my mom's recipe which according to Olivia, my mom stirs "for hours."

I said, "That doesn't sound like something I would do."

I usually find the easiest way to make something and spend my time setting the table.

Although my mom's banana cream pie is amazing, so there's that.

Olivia also told me that probably the reason Liliana didn't have an idea of what she wanted for dinner was because their kids always want Edgar to cook for their birthdays.  (I also would want Edgar to cook for my birthday!)

So the pie didn't measure up to my mom's and Edgar didn't do the cooking, but at least the table looked pretty...



I love having these bright lights in our house every week!

3 comments:

Marianne said...

What a happy picture! I love that these cousins gather so often thanks to you!

Olivia Cobian said...

Thanks so much for celebrating Liliana. You are a gem!

Mark Dahl said...

You are such a good aunt and uncle.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails