Pages

Tuesday, March 26, 2024

My businessman in shining armor

 Yesterday was a rough day.  I was ill prepared and I don't do well when I am ill prepared. (It's why I am a pre-crastinator.  I know myself.)

I missed Thursday and Friday last week because of my conference and so in addition to being behind on grading and organizing, I missed some prime planning-for-next-week time.  I could have stayed late last week.  I could have gone in on Saturday.

I didn't do either thing.

So I was trying to make it work.  My first terrible realization was that I had forgotten a birthday treat for my class.  I can't emphasize enough how many times we had discussed the fact that we would celebrate my birthday on Monday.  They were very concerned about it.  They were very interested in me bringing them a treat.

And I completely forgot. 

I decided I would go to the store during my lunch break.  It would mean I wouldn't be able to do a scramble prep time, like I was planning, but needs must.

Then Adam texted he would bring me a treat. 

He is a gem.

That is all. 

It turned out we had inside recess, because of snow.  We don't have prep time on Monday and we had a district professional hour after school so I didn't have time after school either.

(Which is why I left the school after 5:00 last night.)

Back to Adam.

My very concerned (about their treats) students were very interested.  They knew I'd forgotten the treat and they knew that I couldn't leave at lunch.  I told them, "My husband is bringing the treats.  Isn't that so kind of him?!?"

"What about work?  Is it his day off?"

I said, "He'll just leave his work and then go back later." (He just worked from home the rest of the day.)

"So you won't see him tonight?"

I said, "No, I will."

"Is he a construction worker?"

I said, "No, he works in an office."

That was a very novel concept to a lot of them.  "So is he a...businessman?"

I said, "Yes."

Adam came in with a grocery bag (during science) and went to put it on my desk like he wasn't going to disturb us.  I knew that wouldn't work.

I introduced him to everyone and told them we had the same birthday.  Adam said I was older so I had them figure out how many hours older I am than he is. (We coincidentally started learning time yesterday and exactly two of them even have an analog clock at home and it is hard!)  They sang happy birthday to both of us.  They added their cha cha cha verse that 3rd graders are seemingly incapable of omitting.  I gave Adam a candy "candle" out of my birthday cake.

My students were completely delighted by the whole thing.

Then, without really thinking about it, I kissed Adam good-bye and that sort of mortified them.  

I said, "It's fine.  We're married.  We can kiss."


2 comments:

Mark Dahl said...

I love your posts. You sure have a way with words.

Olivia Cobian said...

Hooray for Adam coming to the rescue! I am so glad your class got to meet him!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails