Pages

Monday, August 24, 2009

Coming Around

J.C. Leyendecker

Much to the chagrin of some family members and visiting teaching companions, my scout enthusiasm is at times tepid. (Have you ever tried sewing on endless patches?)

Every once in awhile I feel warm and fuzzy towards scouts though...because of the leaders. My enthusiasm for the leaders is never no never tepid. They astound me with their devotion and good work.

Adam and Braeden went off to scout camp for a week this morning (pray for them, pray for them). Our house was a whirlwind of preparation this weekend (which I largely wasn't a part of...see tepid enthusiasm). Adam is one of the leaders and acting as merit badge counselor for some of the merit badges so he was busy.

I can't imagine how busy the main leader...Keven Jackson...was though.

Here's the email he sent Adam

Hi Adam,

Here is the list of food and some other items I'll be bringing:

Hot dogs
Hot dog buns
Chili
Pickles
Pancake mix
Orange jice
Pot with lid
tortillas
chicken
refried beans
La Victoria
Mustard ketchup mayonaisse
10 steaks
potato pearls
peas and carrots
Hamburgers
Hamburger buns
Aluminum foil
Potatoes
onions
carrots
cheese
crystal lite
peanut butter
2 pepperoni pizzas
peaches
ice cream
applesauce
donuts
cake cookies
2 gallons milk
3 packages of lunch meat
10 bags of chips
4 pounds of ground beef
spaghetti
spaghetti sauce
broccoli
celery
corn
lettuce
tomatoes
avocado
spinach
soup
stew
bread- white and wheat 10 loaves
60 eggs
4 packs of sausage
4 packs of bacon
Hash browns
biscuits
bananas
strawberries
captain crunch cereal
margarine
3 packs of freeze dried food
1 mac and cheese dinner
2 hormel dinners
oatmeal
wash-rinse-dry rack
paper towels
Blue ice
Dry ice

Let me know if there is anything else we need.


It makes me immensely tired just reading the list.

And I so appreciate his efforts. (A Danish Proverb I love: Who takes the child by the hand takes the mother by the heart.)

Braeden was bouncing off the walls with excitement and anticipation.

And I'm so grateful that there are men in the world willing to put their busy lives on hold to take 7 twelve year olds into the mountains for a week.

So grateful.

It doesn't take a hero to order men into battle. It takes a hero to be one of those men who goes into battle.
Norman Schwarzkopf

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This made me cry. I hope our anti-scouting brothers read it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails