Pages

Friday, August 28, 2009

Near Head Trauma, Psychological Torture and I'm Not as Young as I Once Was

Tonight we went to the park (again).

Mark took his light saber which I'm not even sure should be in his possession after the furniture he's damaged with light sabers.

He came centimeters from hitting Emma on the head with it as we walked. So close. I told him to put it away until he got to the wider expanse of the park.

He did but Mark can't (I think it's a medical condition) hold still. He was still swinging the light saber and it slipped right out of his hand. Emma and I (somehow because we're neither of us known for our grace and agility) ducked at the right moment and it sailed right by our faces. Fast.

I carried the light saber the rest of the way to the park.

Emma was swinging in a swing and Mark was climbing and the following ensued:

E: Mark!

M: What?

E: Why did you just say what?

M: I didn't.

E: Oh.

E: Mark?

M: What?

E: Why do you keep saying what?

M: I'm not.

E: Oh.

E: Mark!

M: What?

E: Why did you say what?

M: I didn't.

Me: OK, Emma. Stop.

Mark looked at me with a lot of confusion. He had no idea what had just happened.

Later Emma was pushing Mark on the tire swing. At least that was kind.

E: Everything you say is opposite.

M: No it isn't.

E: So you agree?

M: No, everything I say is not opposite.

E: Yeah, I know everything you say is opposite.

M: You're stupid.

E: (smiling) Why, thank you.

Me: EM-ma. That. Is. Enough.

Again, Mark, not really sure what happened, looked over at me.

(Right now Emma is reading aloud to Mark...is there hope?)

After watching Emma on the swing, I started thinking I wanted to swing. When's the last time I was swinging on a swing? I have no idea.

Swinging was my favorite thing to do at recess when I was in elementary school. And I spent many a happy summer afternoon on my parents' swingset. I sat down and like riding a bike, you don't forget how to swing. My toes pointed up up up and my body scooped down and I propelled myself higher and higher, my hair whipping around my face.

Then I got very very dizzy and had to stop.

And those wrap around swings were more fun before I had hips.

1 comment:

Rachel Yorgason said...

Dear Thelma,

Wow, I had forgotten what a great writer you are. I have just ignored my kids for a good 15 minutes reading.... Maybe you should work on being not so good. Anyway, are you feeling any better? It sounds like you have had a rough time of it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails