Pages

Monday, January 11, 2010

Names

I come from a family of namers.  My dad names things.  My dad tried for years to get trees to grow in our yard when I was growing up.  One problem is the whole desert thing.  Then, my parents house is situated on rocky ground.  Very rocky.  There were also "other" problems (like when I accidentally ran the lawn mower over ten tiny trees my dad had planted one afternoon).  My dad finally solved the problem by having Enoch dig a 6 cubic foot hole in the yard.  The tree planted in this rock free sanctuary grew!

My dad named it Frank.

Here are some photos that captured Frank in his summer glory




you have no idea the longing this picture fills me with...summer...sunshine...Nevada

You've got to admit, Frank's a handsome tree.

One summer day I heard an unexpected sound emerging from my dad's shop.

"What's that?" I asked.

"Floyd," was his cryptic reply.  It was his new tumbler, polishing up some spurs.  But my dad names things.

He also named our cars.  (and my brothers name their cars)

This is not a comprehensive list.  I likely don't remember all the cars (and my mom has been pointing out my blogging inaccuracies lately--accuracy?  Who needs it?)

We drove:

Sorrelly
Augustus
October
Brown Brown
Big Brown (sensing a theme)
Blackie
Winnie Mae

Like I said, a partial list.

Why this journey down the list of our named possessions?

Because I come by naming things honestly.

There's a computer generated voice in our school curriculum.  I named her Delores.  (She just sounds so much like a Delores...although I don't actually know anyone named Delores.)  Today we were reading about early American art.  We called on Delores to help us pronounce words like frakturs and grisaille.

A while later, out of the blue, in a quiet moment in the school room (and believe me quiet is only momentary), Braeden said, "I don't think Delores knows how to feel any emotion."

There are very few people in the world that know how to make me laugh like that birthday boy.

FYI:  Here's something I learned in school today.  I learn new things all the time.  Did you know the Pennsylvania Dutch were actually German?  Pennsylvania Dutch comes from Pennsylvania Deutch.  Who knew?  (If you knew stop showing off.  I didn't know.)

4 comments:

Mark Dahl said...

Hey Thelma,
grisaille is one of the words in my art history course.

Your mom

Christie said...

We're fans of naming things around here.

My old Honda Pilot was named Honda Solo. My new Honda Pilot is named Princess Lola (because they named the navigation system Lola). The Husband's car is named Tooley.

I'm glad we're not the only strange ones out there.

Crystal @ Semi-Crunchy Mama said...

I came over here after reading Hannah's post on her blog about the Traveling Shoes...and stuck around to read some more. I hope you don't mind, but I added you to my reader -- I've really enjoyed your recent posts!

My family has always been big on naming things, especially our cars. My first car, a second-hand black deer-dented Mercury Topaz, was named Ebony (Ebby for short). Then came Toni (I got her on the same weekend as the Daytona 500). Then my pickup truck, who was simply known as Big Boy.

I don't know why we name inanimate objects like we do...but it's fun!

TABOR said...

Ammon and I dug the hole for Frank and Enoch watched. Our Mother isn't the only one who will set you straight.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails