Pages

Tuesday, January 19, 2010

There are Two Types of People in the World...

 ...people who read books and people who don't. 


I was reading a magazine article and was encouraged by the author to color coordinate my books...you know, all the red books together, all the blue books together.

Really?

How would I find anything?

To my way of thinking, there are only two ways to organize your books:  alphabetical by author or by genre.  I prefer the latter because I have a lot of different types of books:

picture books (like The Seven Silly Eaters or Good Dog, Carl)

chapter books (like The Chronicles of Narnia series or Diary of a Wimpy Kid)

church books (like scripture manuals or Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith)

my books (like my Jane Austen collection or To Kill a Mockingbird )

Adam's books (like The Political Economy of International Relations or European Intellectual History Since 1789)



I know where to find any of these books (although I have never actively wondered where The Political Economy of International Relations is at any given time).  They have their designated shelf or shelves.

I can't imagine the head-ache of trying to find them if they were color coordinated.

Then I was remembering a picture from a Pottery Barn catalog awhile ago.

These people don't read:




Nor do these people (color coded AND completely inaccessible):

 

(This picture actually makes me feel a little nervous.)


Our similarities bring us to a common ground; our differences allow us to be fascinated by each other.
 Tom Robbins

common ground:  books
ways to keep them:  fascinating?

or just nutty?

3 comments:

The Norlie Family said...

I'm just crazy enough that I might organize them by genre, then alphabetically by author. I do like the color idea though. while it's not technically the most organized way it certainly does look cool on the shelf. But it would have to be one way or the other. However you could just collect books in all the various colors just so you could have a shelf that had the look. And again I'm crazy enough I like the idea of that too! :)

Melanee said...

I just put mine on a shelf. I make sure books by the same author are together, but other than that there is very little rhyme or reason. I sort of just place them where I think they look good. The amazing thing is, I generally know where all of them are at any given moment. I'm weird like that. But despite my lack of organization, I do, in fact, read. I guess we come in all types.

Clarissa Johnson said...

I color coded my books about a year ago. They look cool, but you are right, they are hard to find sometimes.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails