Pages

Thursday, January 14, 2010

No Time To Say Hello, Good-Bye!




John Tenniel's Illustration of the "White Rabbit"


Yesterday I had a typically busy school morning.  Then right in the middle of explaining Braeden's math to him, my visiting teachers came. 


I dashed downstairs to visit with them.


After that I quickly made lunch.


Then we went to Lynnwood elementary school for a play that niece and nephew Talia and Jackson were in.


I may have gotten a speeding ticket when one of the "revenue cameras" in Lynnwood flashed a shot of me speeding in a school zone (insert sad face).  We were late and I wasn't thinking about things like school zones.


Turns out the play started later than we even were.  So that meant more lovely time keeping Mark occupied on a hard chair.


After the play our next stop was the orthodontist for the second time this week because Braeden had another loose wire.  


Then McDonald's drive-thru for a snack (everyone can get ONE thing from the dollar menu) because our children were stARVing.  (I don't want to talk about it.)


Next was Game Stop because Braeden's birthday money from his grandma is burning a hole in his pocket (and that kid can't stand any more holes in his jeans, believe me).  Braeden has been influenced by his bargain loving mother and he decided to go with Amazon.com after all for his video game needs.


After that we hustled home.  (I should add that all of these trips to and from the car were accomplished in torrential northwest winter rain.)


At home kids wrapped up school work, I changed some sheets on the beds, finished some laundry.  And dishes.  Whipped out a menu and shopping list for the week and watered my poor plants.


Then did some yoga, spent less time reading the scriptures than I should have but was OUT OF TIME.  


Swim practice was next.  We rushed to the pool.  I sharpened colored pencils for Mark, watched my children toil away.


I had them hop out of the pool early so we could make it to our dinner reservations at the Arby's drive-thru (I don't want to talk about it) before Braeden had to be at scouts.  He sprinted through the rain and I started to leave the church parking lot.  Then I noticed his papers that he needed for scouts...one with a little dab of cheese from his Arby's beef and cheddar sandwich.  I parked and ran into the church, dodging puddles and sheets of rain falling from the sky to give Braeden his papers.


I made it home.  I helped Mark practice the piano, instructed Emma to practice next and went to wash Mark's hair.  I sat down to correct the school work from the day then put Emma and Mark to their various beds (where they didn't stay because Braeden wasn't home yet and they knew I was too tired to care.  


Adam and Braeden came home to find me already tucked in my red chair, under a warm blanket, reading my book.


I felt like a wet dish rag that had been enthusiastically rung out, tossed on the floor and then stepped on a few times.  With boots.




The other day I talked to my wonderful grandma on the phone.  She told me to enjoy these days with my children because they are the best I'll have.


I'm trying to believe her.  I'm trying. 

3 comments:

Clarissa Johnson said...

That sounds like a day at our house. I'm glad you lived through it.

Robert Johnson said...

I'm so angry because Robert stole my google account when he got his own blog. So this is Marianne, not Robert.

Speaking of Marianne, the White Rabbit always reminds me of saying "Marianne" in a real annoying voice.

Olivia Cobian said...

When did Mark start piano lessons?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails