Pages

Thursday, January 28, 2010

Can I Help You?



This morning Adam is working in a call center along with some of his coworkers that traveled to North Dakota with him.

I asked him what that would accomplish.

He said, "Sympathy."

I know full well what it's like to call Adam when I need help.  I've done it once or twice or ten thousand times.

I don't know what it will be like for strangers to call him with their complaints/problems.

I'd like to think I've helped prepare him for this experience.

Talking to strangers on the phone reminded me of when we lived in Connecticut.  The customer service in that lovely part of the world ranged from surly to why-are-you-still-here-breathing-my-air?  (Although there are a lot of really kind people that live there too.)  Occasionally I'd need to call BECU, our bank here in the northwest.  It was always a pleasure.

The good people at BECU were always so over-the-top friendly!  They'd surprise me with things like politeness and have-a-nice-days.  I would feel elated for the rest of the day.  I wondered  if I should call every day just for the boost.

Now that we've found our way back to the West Coast and amiable strangers, it all seems more commonplace now.

Except for when I happen to call BYU.

A few years ago I left my cell phone in my dorm room when I went there for Women's Conference.  I called for assistance.  I talked to possibly the most cheerful college student in America.  She eagerly assured me that she'd do everything she could to help.  I told her my brother would come and pick up the phone.  She asked me his name.  I said Ammon Dahl.

I think she squealed.

"Was he a freshman last year?  There was an Ammon in my ward!"

I told her no.  I felt a little disappointed that I had to tell her no though.  She was so happy.

My phone was returned good as new.

Then, the other day I was trying to register for Women's Conference.  I met difficulties.  Because they've changed their system.  I called and spoke to "Abraham".  I could tell from the wholesome tilt of his voice that it was going to be a delight.  He explained to me that according to BYU, I am still Thelma Dahl with my address and phone number from when I graduated from BYU.  He helped me get it straightened out (except my name...he said I'd have to call the records office for that and I had lost interest by that point).  Abraham made me happy though.  He was enthusiastic and competent and obliging all at once.  And he just sounded so good.

So why do those BYU kids sound so cheerful all the time?

Is it the constant scent of fudge in the bookstore?  Is it being on a beautiful campus surrounded by beautiful and talented people?  Or is it the fact that at any time you could rotate in a 360 degree circle and see someone with open scriptures?

I love that place.

I wonder what I sound like on the phone?  What do people hear when they call me?

(besides the clamoring of three children who decide to start plying me with requests the minute a phone is held to my ear)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know what I hear when I call you on the phone. I hear understanding and humor and empathy and good will. This is Marianne by the by. I need to get a new email so I can be a real person.

Braeden said...

this post is OH NO MOM ON THE PHONE I GOT TO GO BUG HER

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails