Pages

Monday, July 17, 2023

Weekend

Friday was the alumni party at the Museum of Flight in Seattle.  It was for all the WGU graduates and their families and I guess any alumni who wanted to come.  It was fun!  I loved seeing the exhibits and being a fly on the wall observing Adam with his coworkers.  He has this whole life that I'm not a part of and I like seeing glimpses.  Everyone is very kind to me and usually tells me how much they like him.  (All I can do is agree.)

My one woman campaign to get Adam to call the van Hootie is maybe working because he has referred to it that way a few times!

It's really the little things.

Geri and Adam's sisters and Talia came to the alumni party too so we saw them intermittently as everyone just kind of wandered.

Adam gave four of his coworkers a ride to their hotels.  Usually we are around the people on Adam's team and this time it was his peers and it was interesting to see the difference.  I gave them my two cents about how WGU should offer continuing education and teacher recertification.  It's probably the only time I will have an audience of five WGU vice presidents so I decided to strike while the iron was hot!

Wes, who is very kind and his wife is getting a teacher degree right now so we had stuff to talk about, said he wanted a selfie at the hotel.  Even though those guys definitely felt like the grownups, they are still a group of overgrown boys at times who tease each other and have a good time.  He texted Adam the picture and I immediately commandeered it because Hootie looked so shiny and pretty.

It is possible I am getting territorial.


Saturday morning, Adam left before I woke up for the graduation and all his work stuff.  I had a slow morning around the hotel room.  I walked to Target for moisturizer because I forgot some and enough is enough.  

Geri picked me up and along with Megan and Whitney and Talia, she treated us to lunch at The Cheesecake Factory.  It was fun to visit and enjoy lunch together.  I spent the rest of the afternoon with them until it was time to get ready for the Mariners game.  They were packing clear bags and checking necessities off their mental checklists and I said, "You guys are professionals!"

Megan loaned me a clear fanny pack so I could be like the cool kids.  Geri and I met Adam and Hootie at Northgate.  He had been in Seattle all day.  We took the light rail into Seattle.  There were two types of people:  those in Mariners clothes and those in Sounders clothes because there was a soccer game happening at the same time.

From our seats, you could see the fireworks next door at the Sounders game.


Leave it to soccer to be dramatic....


The Mariners did not win, but baseball games are like pizza, even if they're bad, they're good. Being at the ballpark is the thing for me.  Cramming back onto the light rail with the soccer fans, someone asked, "How was the game?" 

A guy in a Sounders jersey said, "We tied.  1-1.  How was the Mariners' game?"

"We lost 0-6."

"Well, I guess tying 1-1 is better than that."

He wasn't wrong.

We got to bed late and woke up kind of late.  We waded through a lot of traffic (I don't miss that!) to get to Portland.  We made it to Enoch and Jennifer's in the early afternoon.  We had such a great time visiting them!  They made us a delicious dinner--so much fresh fruit and vegetables which is JUST what you want when you have been on the road for awhile.  We also enjoyed their company and loved seeing their house and surroundings.  It is a very unique house; I've never seen one like it.  Jennifer said that she wasn't sure about it at first, but when she saw the sport court in the back, she knew that the battle had already been won.  They are a sporty family!

We loved playing with Boston.  He showed me his cars and dinosaurs and at my bidding showed off how smart he is.  I asked him addition questions no four year old has any business knowing.  He is such a cutie!

It has been a lovely feast of seeing so much of our family.  Today we drive back to Utah.  I am ready to be home and to see Mark.  Also, Braeden and Anna and QE are coming over so it will be wonderful to have them around some more.

Eventually I'm going to have to buckle down and be a school teacher again, but not yet!

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails