Pages

Monday, September 24, 2018

My three boys

Last summer Marianne and Robert gave us a gift certificate for the Shakespeare Festival in Cedar City to thank Adam for helping with their relay.  We finally put it to very good use.

Friday Adam and Mark and I drove to Cedar City.  I was exhausted and couldn't follow the podcast we were listening to.  Were they speaking English?  Adam was following it just fine so I think it was just me.

Since I was too tired for a podcast, I thought the play would be a struggle to stay awake but it is hard to be sleepy when you are laughing that hard.  We saw The Foreigner.  Adam and I had seen it years before at the Village Theater in Everett and we had loved it.  We told Mark all about how great it was and then I worried that maybe we'd oversold it, but he laughed just as much as we did.

We stopped by the grocery store on the way back to our hotel for hot chocolate k-cups, because there was a Keurig machine in our hotel.  They are fun to use and we wouldn't use it nearly enough, since we're not coffee drinkers, but we still sort of want one.

Saturday morning Adam and Mark swam in the hotel pool and I read my book.  (A winning combination.)  After that, we walked around the SUU campus some.  It's a pretty place but we wondered where all the students were.  They sleep late?  There just aren't that many of them?  I don't know.

At lunch I had to take the french fries away because Adam and Mark were starting to catapult them at each other using a long spoon.  I also stopped them wrestling in the hotel room.  Sometimes I feel like I have two sons with me when those two are together.

(Adam said he wouldn't really do any of that stuff, he just likes to get a reaction out of me. Hm.)

**
*

In our absence Braeden, who is having the busiest period of his life, came for the weekend and did homework. He is working this semester and taking a full course load and volunteering for a political campaign and facilitating a Better Angels event.  It makes me tired just typing it all out.

After dinner we went grocery shopping and Mark, happy to have his brother back, talked non-stop.  They laughed about memes we didn't know and vines we didn't exactly understand (and I'm OK with that) and they also like to speak in Star Wars prequel quotes.

Sometimes it's a lot to listen to.  At the grocery store, when I couldn't think straight because of their banter in my ears, I said, "Stop, just stop."  They took a few giant steps away from me (because that's the only way they step) and carried on.

**
*

Adam and Mark left earlier than we did for church on Sunday and before I even mentioned that I was feeling insecure about the dress I was wearing, Braeden said, "Mom, you look really pretty."

"Really," I asked.  "Because I feel like the circus is in town and I am the Big Top."

Braeden said, "That's the style right now, Mom.  Ever since my mission, dresses don't have a waistline, they just go shwoop."

So I shwooped off to church.

These boys--how I love them.  I feel like I'm in a constant battle to make sure they're staying civilized but really they are pretty gentlemanly (even giving me fashion advice).

For one thing, with those three around, I never carry anything heavy.  They wouldn't stand for it.




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails