Pages

Friday, September 21, 2018

Grateful Friday

Yesterday two kindergartners were arguing at recess about whether or not fall and Halloween were the same thing.  They asked me to intervene.  (Braeden said I'm the Christopher Robin of recess.)

I tried to explain that fall was a season, spanning several months and that Halloween was one day in fall.  They both thought that validated why they were right and with all the righteous indignation two children under three feet tall can muster, they argued.  And argued.  I went to the other side of the playground.

Christopher Robin was tired.

Somedays I go home from school rejuvenated and in love with my job and sometimes I go home depleted.  Yesterday = depleted.

The struggles some of my students have worry me and break my heart a little and also push my patience to the brink.  Sometimes I want to bring them home and give them cookies and ice cream and sometimes I want to bring them home and put them in time out.

It's hard because the more I get to know them, the more they matter to me and the more I care.  The more I care, the more capacity I have for frustration.

Sigh.

I felt further disheartened when I learned that Adam's flight was going to be delayed and he'd be home a few hours later than scheduled.

I did what any smart girl would do and I texted our kids and asked them if they wanted to have dinner together.

Emma clarified, asking if I meant meet somewhere or if I was cooking.

Ha!

I was NOT cooking.

We met at Noodles and Company in Provo.  Braeden wrapped his arms around me and said that seeing me was just what he needed because he was having a hard day.  I said, "No, I'm having a hard day."

Emma assured me that she was happy and would bolster me.

Braeden smiled his charming smile and said, "We can cheer each other up."

And we did.

(Although now that I think about it, I did way more venting than anyone else.)

I told them about the ups and downs of my day.  They laughed or murmured supportively in all the right places.  Braeden put his arm around me when I teared up (and that wasn't even a bad part of the day--it was when I was telling them how nice some kids were to their classmate who was hurt and having a really terrible time).

I thought that what I needed was those three and sure enough, what I needed was those three.  I felt lighter after dinner and ready to go back and try again.

Money can't buy you happiness but it can take your kids to dinner and that is kind of the same thing.

leaning against the car and chatting in the parking lot before parting ways...also Emma and I dug in our purses for quarters so Braeden could do his laundry


No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails