Pages

Tuesday, September 25, 2018

When people are delightful

Here's a recent conversation I had with a man.

"You got your haircut!"

"No...."

"Oh, I guess you curled it."

"No, I don't curl it.  It's just like this."

"Really?"

"Yep."

(sounding confused) "Where did you get curly hair from?"

"My dad has curly hair."

"But...where is that from?  Like South America or something?  You're pretty white..."


**
*

Emma loaned Freja $45 because her debit card wasn't working and Freja paid Emma back in cash.  Emma was lamenting to me earlier that she put the money in her pocket and went to the store and then the money was gone.  Rats.  Lost cash is just lost, you know?

Except when you are a BYU student.

Someone found it and put it on her ward's Facebook page and Emma never checks Facebook but her roommate told her and Emma's $45 in cash was returned to her.

I love people.

**
*

Of course I have a school anecdote to round out these tales.  There's a kid who I told Adam was straight up a Herdman (as in from the Best Christmas Pageant Ever).  He's just mean.  Every time I turn around he's being mischievous and naughty.  At recess one day a kid fell down and the Herdman kicked the fallen child's ball far away.  Just because he could.  Also, one day in class I was picking up paper scraps and recycling them and he said, "I hate recycling."

Who hates recycling?  I mean, why?

One of his classmates got legitimately hurt at recess though.  This boy has a lot of struggles, health and otherwise and the Herdman?  The one I thought was so mean?  He was one of the first boys to come running.  He was concerned and helpful and compassionate.

There's a lot to be happy about in this world.  Even people with the worldview:  curly hair stems from South America (?) and white people don't have curly hair are sort of lovely in their way.








No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails