Pages

Monday, September 17, 2018

Up and downs of the weekend

Friday was a bit of a rough one.  I felt off kilter as well as not great about the smoke.  My head ached and my throat burned but so did everyone else's at my school.  We had indoor recess and in one hallway of the school where there are windows on both sides and sunlight streaming in, you could see the smoke in the air.

At one point I thought, I wish the wind would blow and this smoke would go away!  Then, like I had access to a genie and my wishes really would come true, I felt immediately guilty.  I thought of the firefighters in harm's way and the houses within reach of the fire and how wind would make everything worse.  Never mind!  I don't want the wind to blow!

Saturday was still a smoky mess and my throat still hurt.  We met Emma at the Hale Theater for a matinee performance of Daddy Longlegs.  It was so good!  I love the Hale Theater!  And I love that sweet Emma for getting us good tickets every time.  Vanessa and her mom Nyla were seated in front of and slightly over from us.  We chatted a little with them before the show and then after we all went to lunch together.

It was the lingering delightful kind of lunch where you talk for hours.  It is never a surprise to me when I like the mothers of my children's friends.  It just makes sense.  Nyla is a kindred spirit.  She teaches 2nd grade and we like a lot of the same things, including our creative and brilliant, musical, French speaking daughters.  (Vanessa was one of the girls I was in charge of who interpreted for me in France.) Vanessa is preparing for a mission in Armenia and she showed us on a map where Armenia is exactly.  I had a vague idea but wasn't sure.

Later that afternoon, I started feeling really lousy.  I had zero energy and fell asleep on the couch.  Adam and Mark went to the store and I went upstairs and slept some more.

I started thinking that my sore throat was not just smoke related.

Sunday morning after ward council, Adam took me to the doctor.  He was there in a suit and I was there in yoga pants and I felt a little underdressed.  My rapid strep test came back negative, which didn't surprise me.  More often than not, my rapid strep test comes back negative and then the culture, a few days later, comes back positive.  I recognize strep throat.  Adam said I'm a strep whisperer.

I think it's more of a wimperer.

The doctor said he was going to give me antibiotics anyway and Braeden said, "Did you tell him that he's part of the problem?"

I said, "No.  I told him thank you."

(I still think I may have strep.)

So I texted the BYU kids to let them know that they were still welcome to come, I just wanted them to have the information.  Liberty had another commitment anyway and Leif and Freja opted to stay home (smart kids) and Braeden and Emma came.

Adam and the kids cooked dinner and I stopped Braeden from using a cup on the counter that I had used but otherwise I think I effectively kept my germs to myself.

We watched the first episode of the new (to us) Great British Baking Show and Braeden has already invented a love triangle between Paul Hollywood, the new judge and one of the contestants.

It is less smoky today and the missionaries in Braeden's mission that were evacuated from Hurricane Florence are fine and a missionary I know in the Philippines who survived that terrible typhoon is fine and Desi, my sweet missionary in Hong Kong where the typhoon made its next stop is fine too.

These words that my dad said recently keep repeating in my head.  God is in His heaven. I am so grateful.




No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails