Pages

Wednesday, October 9, 2019

Being a mother

Well, here's a newsflash no one really needs:  being a mother changes who you are.

Last night we had parent teacher conferences at my school.  We'll have more tomorrow night.  The school was sort of abuzz all day with teachers preparing in any gaps of time they had.  I felt the same push to make my classroom look tidy (which isn't easy because I have 24 kids in there all day) and have all the information readily available and organized.

A difference I felt between me and the young and single teachers is that I didn't feel nervous.  Walking by some of the dressed up/ bright lipsticked/ high heeled for the occasion teachers, I felt their anxiety emanating off them.

I felt fine.  For one thing, I'm either a lot older or somewhat older than all the parents.  For another thing, I'm a mother.

I know what it feels like to sit on the other side of parent teacher conferences.

Also, my three prepared me for this.  Your child has a hard time sitting still?  (I had a child like that.)  Your child is a perfectionist? (I had a child like that.)  Your child is a good artist but has atrocious handwriting? (I was that child.)  Your child is chatty and busy trying to make everyone laugh?  (I had a child like that.)  Your child can't spell or write well but has great ideas? (I had a child like that.)

What motherhood didn't prepare me for, was the astonishing experience of having one of my best and brightest who speaks perfect English come in with his mother who needed a translator.  I was blown away by how amazing this child is to straddle both languages so seamlessly.  He translated for his mother until a translator arrived.  Also, it was clear to me why he does so well in school.  His mom quizzed me hard (via the translator) about where he needs to improve and what she can do at home to work with him.

It was eye opening to meet a lot of the parents and painted a little better picture of each child's experience.

After it all I felt slightly intimidated by the daunting task of helping these little ones.  Their parents entrust me with them.  I have so much to learn and so many ways to improve.  I will keep trying.

My favorite part was telling the parents my honest praise about their children and seeing their faces light up.

I wanted them to know I see their kids.  They are more than their reading level and math scores.  I'm a mother; I know that matters.

4 comments:

Marianne said...

This is beautiful!

Mark Dahl said...

I loved this Thelma. You are such a good teacher. I love that Hispanic mother who can't speak English but wants so much for her son. When I was teaching, the most concerned and the most likely to come to conferences were the Hispanic parents.

Your mom

Olivia Cobian said...

Gotta love the Hispanics. :)

Gwilliam Fam said...

I am so glad you are a teacher Thelma. Lucky, lucky children....and parents.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails