Pages

Monday, October 28, 2019

Weekend things

I worked long hours all week and it was also a hard week and I was dead tired Friday night.  Mark had had a hard week health wise and Adam had born the brunt of the diabetes problems night shift so he was dead tired Friday night.

Mark was fine and wanted to hang out with his friends.

The resilience of youth is real.

I felt rejuvenated after a good nine hours of sleep and ready to tackle the Saturday chores.  Also, I had found a screaming deal on a rug for our family room that is more in line with how we want it to look eventually. (It sort of clashes right now but I don't mind.  That's how good the deal was.)  Since I'd ordered the rug online it had been folded.  Mark and Adam and I unfolded and unrolled it and there were still some creases in it.

I lay on the floor and rolled around on the creases until I got dizzy.  Mark said, "A modern solution for a modern problem."  Then he too, rolled around on the rug.

I don't want to brag, but there are no more creases on the rug.

I posted a picture of the old rug on our neighborhood Facebook page.  Later when we were running errands, a neighbor called to see if the rug was still available.  I said it was but we weren't home.  Adam said, "Our side garage door is unlocked."  (We are trying to do better about locking our house but Adam had just mowed the lawn and it was unlocked.)

I told the woman our door was unlocked and to go on in and get it.

When I hung up the phone I tried to remember the cleanliness of the house.  I have my vanity and pride to think of after all.

But the rug has gone to a new home so I'm happy.  It's going to a couple who is getting married in 3 weeks.

I FaceTimed with Emma which was lovely.  I asked her how she made her eyebrows look so good and she retrieved her makeup and showed me.  I know I couldn't duplicate it but I was impressed.  I was glad to see her face and hear her laugh.  I miss my girl.  She is happy and looking forward to her next semester at BYU which she is orchestrating from afar.  Yesterday her friend Fiona was texting her pictures of a possible apartment for them in Provo and Emma was texting them to me.  Fiona lives just down the hill from us so the pictures didn't have to go to Paris before coming here but maybe they enjoyed the journey.

Adam and I talked to Braeden on speaker phone in the Trader Joe's parking lot.  We watched people break into their favorite Trader Joe's snacks for the drive home after leaving the store.  It was relatable.  (Although we didn't get treats this time, we did get ginger scented hand cream which is maybe my everything right now.)

Braeden is happy too and having happy children is a blessing.  We talked about all sorts of things and then the conversation started heading down a politics/supreme court path and I said, "We've got to go do our shopping."

Because 1) we did and 2) those conversations are hard to follow and 3) they have a way of going on and on.

A Saturday wouldn't be complete without a stop at the school to do a few things.  When Adam and I were walking into the school, I saw some 4th grade boys outside who had come to the playground.  One of them said, "Hi Mrs. Davis!" and I chided the other one for being barefoot and he gave me his best mischievous grin and said, "I never wear shoes."

Just the brief interaction with them lifted my soul a little.  I get tired through a week of teaching but I dearly love it.  I love schools and school children and all of it.

I had grand plans Sunday for a walk in the mountains to see the lovely fall foliage.

Sunday morning we woke up to snow.  I chatted with Emma (who updated her blog) and sent her a picture of the snow and the new rug, messy pillows and blankets and all.


We have a style of decorating and it's called lived in.


We want to get the chairs reupholstered in a different fabric.  They are worn.  The ottoman is so worn I leave that rug on it that matches exactly nothing.

Much like everything and everyone around here, it is a work in progress.

Our college kids came for dinner last night.  We had taco soup and warm gingerbread with lemon curd.

I feel ready for a new week.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails