Pages

Monday, October 21, 2019

Living in Utah

We've lived here over five years. In some ways, the time has flown.  In some ways, it feels like a lifetime.  Adam and I were talking about our time in our beloved little house in Everett.  "Those were formative years," he said.

And they were.  Our family became US in a lot of ways.

I don't know how to classify the five most recent years.  Less formative and more destructive?  As in lots and lots of changes.  Destructive isn't right though.  Because it hasn't all been negative.  It's been hard.  Trials before felt like they were elementary school and high school trials with a safety net around.  This has felt more grown up and like the ground beneath us is reshaping.

Much like grown up life though, it's made us stronger.  It's made Adam and me more united.  It has made us appreciate some things more and let go of things that didn't matter that much after all.  All the changes and seismic shifts have led us to some wonderful things, like Anna.  We love her and she only adds value around here.  Also, my job, which has rocked my little world is also one of the happiest things in my life.  Watching our kids grow and leave home is at once heartbreaking and joyful and breathtaking in good ways.

None of this stage of life has to do with moving to Utah, but it feels that way.

That's what happens when you move days before your oldest child's senior year of high school.

There are lots of things, unrelated to our dizzying time of life, that I love about Utah.  Here's a list (because who doesn't love lists!):

1- the mountains

2- seasons

Utah doesn't mess around with seasons.  They are varied and beautiful.  It is HOT and it is COLD and it isn't humid which I love (besides my dry skin).

3- fry sauce

4- blue skies and sunshine

Reliable.

5- super close church buildings and temples

6- close to BYU and my college kids

7- At my professional development meeting today, a group of teachers were sitting around during our lunch break.  We talked about a conference talk that meant a lot, answered prayers and personal revelation.

Utah isn't like other places.

And I am glad I'm here.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails