Pages

Friday, October 4, 2019

Grateful Friday

After wearing jeans my entire life, I'm grateful for Fridays when I get to wear them to school.  It feels more like me.

I am making a little progress in dressing like a grown up girl.  Last year when I would get home, changing into jeans was my first step.  Now I pretty much wear my work clothes until bedtime.  Maybe because changing would take too much energy....

* *
*

I am grateful it is General Conference this weekend.  How I love it!  I am looking forward to hearing from our dear leaders and being uplifted.

I was feeling a little anxious about the weekend because I am looking forward to watching 6 hours of meetings on Saturday and usually my Saturdays are packed full.  How would that work?

I'm grateful Adam suggested we make a list (he knows what soothes my soul--lists!) and decide when we'll do what.

I think it will work.

* *
*

I'm grateful Geri and Megan and Whitney are visiting Paris (kinda wish I were too!).  I love living vicariously through their pictures.




* *
*

I love that my students are concerned about me.

I sometimes wear glasses and sometimes wear contacts (depending on if my eye is flaring up).  Yesterday, late in the day, one of them, in a worried tone asked, "Are you wearing contacts?"

I said yes.

He said, "Oh good.  So you can see."

* *
*

I am grateful for the random skill I have of writing backwards.  It is apparently easier for lefties like me.  Yesterday was backwards day at school for Red Ribbon Week.  (Mostly it was "Teacher, my tag is itching my neck" and kids trying to wear their hoods over their faces day.)  I wrote backwards on the dry erase board and it delighted them.  It's nice to have an easy crowd to please.

* *
*

I am grateful that I know my principal.  My default is to not want to make waves (Adam said I should approach the district tech guy like I would if I were advocating for one of my children--you can't just summon Mama Bear though).

There are things that frustrate me.  For example, I haven't had a microphone since school started.  I've told everyone, including but not limited to the guy from the district who came to make sure it was working.  I've received emails encouraging me to use my microphone and outlining all the benefits.  I've replied that I. Don't. Have. One.

(When there wasn't going to be a third grade in the classroom, the room was pilfered.)

The other day, my principal walked by while I was having a prep.  He poked his head in and asked how I was.

Because I know him, he's my neighbor and used to be my bishop and I've cried in his office on more than one occasion (bishop's office--YW president related--I don't want to talk about it),  I felt comfortable outlining all my little frustrations.

He said, "Write that all down."

I did.

Within minutes, the tech guy was in my room to talk to me about a student's computer issues, I had new coatracks installed by the custodian and my principal returned with a microphone for me.  I said, "I've told anyone who would listen that I needed a microphone."

He said, "Just come and talk to me."

And you know what?  I will.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails