Pages

Wednesday, October 7, 2020

Conferences

 Yesterday and tomorrow are parent teacher conferences.  I was at my school for over 12 hours yesterday.  I didn't die, but almost.  My principal stopped by my classroom while I was sending one more email.  "Go home." he said.

"I know."

There's just so much to do.  Conferences, which are a lot of work by themselves, coupled with sub plans.  Turns out there's a lot to sub plans in the time of COVID.  I have to spell out all the cleaning routines.  Also, I have to find activities for my students to do that are meaningful and not too hard and easy to explain all at the same time.

It's a lot.

While I don't love all the prep work that goes into conferences, I sort of like the actual conferences.  My favorite part is telling the parents how great their students are.  Their eyes smile (I'm sure their mouths are smiling too, but masks block it) and they invariably reach for their child.  My students smile too.  It makes it go down a little easier when I say something their student needs to work on.  I also love it when the students want to show their parents around the classroom.  "This is my desk!" they say proudly, like they're responsible for the creation of it.  When little siblings are along, they stare wide eyed around the room, taking it all in.  So this is the mysterious place their older brother or sister disappears to each day.

It's a nice time.

But I'm glad it's only twice a year because more might actually kill me.

I'm tired.

2 comments:

Marianne said...

How I love you! Not to add to your busy-ness but you should call me sometime!

Olivia said...

What Marianne said. We never talk anymore...I love that you compliment each student in their conference. You are a blessing.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails