Pages

Friday, November 19, 2021

Grateful Friday

Dominating my gratitude today is thinking about next week when all my darlings will be under one roof! I am excited!  Everyone is!  I want everything to be perfect food-wise and I want the house to be in tip top shape, but then I think, "Who cares?"  We will be together and that matters most.  Also, these people have seen me at my worst so I don't need to maintain any charade of put togetherness.

I'm also grateful about small things like my heated steering wheel that makes me happy every morning.  I love that thing.

Speaking of warm hands, I have had morning traffic duty this week, before school.  I have spent the time chatting with one of my students from last year.  It's been cold this week and yesterday I took her out some gloves.  Just those cheap stretchy ones.  I told her she could have them and she threw her arms up in the air, exultant. 

She's probably lost them by now if she's anything like she was last year, but I love being able to help these sweet kids any way I can.  Their joy is mine and I'm grateful for the chance.

Yesterday we had the reward (finally, it was hard fought) of a fort party.

They could each bring one stuffed animal and one blanket.  I confiscated everything at the start of school and piled it on a top shelf they couldn't reach.  They all promised they wouldn't get distracted by their stuffed animals, but this is not actually my first rodeo.

At the appointed time, they made a tremendous mess in the classroom.  There were tears from students who didn't know where to make their fort.  There were boys running around throwing their stuffed animals at each other and there were students collaborating and creatively figuring out how to make forts.

This picture pretty much sums up the energy.

these smart girls enlisted some of my clips

And this, they are all tucked inside:

the reading books are heavy it turns out

It definitely left me with a never again feeling.

But...when they went home, I saw this.


It seriously takes so little to make them happy.  I'm grateful every day I get to be around such appreciative, rambunctious, creative little souls.



2 comments:

Mark Dahl said...

What is the occasion for a fort party? Looks like they had a good time.

Marianne said...

Wow! You are ambitious. I hated fort parties with just my own children. I can't imagine a classroom. But I guess if I could have limited them to one blanket...

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails