Pages

Thursday, February 10, 2022

I'm in it for the fame

I'm not in it for the fortune, so it must be the fame....

Here's something I noticed: my current students barely tolerate me; my former students adore me.

(I think distance makes the heart grow fonder.)

They come up and hug me at recess.  They practically fall off the bench waving at me in the cafeteria.  The other day I walked into a 4th grade classroom to ask the teacher a question and my former students got completely off task yelling my name and waving.

Um.  Remember last year?  What happened?

When I was walking to my car yesterday, two boys were playing on the playground.  One of them said, "Is that Mrs. Davis?"

The other one asked, "Is that your teacher?"

He said, "Last year."  And he waved with great enthusiasm.  

And if all of that adoration doesn't go to my head, also yesterday one of my students did this on her math paper.


I feel like I've hit the big time.

Except for all the times when they say things like, "Can we go home yet?" and "When's lunch?" and "WHY do we have to do this?"

Or the times when they blatantly ignore me.

Or the times when they cheer when we are having a day off school.

Besides those times, I'm a pretty big deal.

2 comments:

Marianne said...

You ARE a pretty big deal!

Olivia Cobian said...

I hope the same is true for my own children. Liliana sends me grateful text messages and emails and tells me nice things when we talk. The boys...don't. Wouldn't it be wonderful if they think gratefully of me later?

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails