Pages

Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Long weekend

It was glorious to spend time together.  Here's what we did.

Saturday we did chores around the house and errands and also went to the last home game of the BYU Women's Basketball team.  It was senior night and we got to see Paisley honored.  She's incredible.  At one point when she was scoring and just being generally awesome, I told Adam that I should have let her bring their dog Squire into our house that one time when she wanted to.  Adam said maybe it helped make her a fighter.  Yay me for fueling her power.  Except she's one of the nicest people around so I don't think she held it against me for not letting Squire into the house.

Also, she's amazing.



And I love her mom.

We only saw each other briefly because she was busy with all the senior stuff, but it was enough for a hug and to ask each other about how Mark and Gavin are doing.  They are the sons we love and share.  We also talked about her newborn grandson who is "perfect" and about my soon to be granddaughter who I'm guessing will also be perfect.


It was fun to be there.


I captured Stephanie and Brent and Paisley (and Brent's mom) on the big screen.  You can sort of see them, but Stephanie was wearing blue and white striped pants and she is the only person I know who could pull them off with that much panache.

Sunday after church and more church meetings and all the things, Adam and I went to Nevada.  

It has been brewing for awhile, but we are buying the little log cabin my grandparents built after their house burned when I was in high school.  To say I'm sentimental about it would be a huge understatement.    Their yard and orchard were a magical place where I played throughout my childhood.  My grandpa gave me my patriarchal blessing in that house and Adam and I had our wedding reception there.  It is sacred ground to me and I appreciate that it matters to Adam too.  

We aren't moving there right now, but it will be our home away from home and hopefully the same magical place for our grandchildren.

We met with our family friend, Andrew, who is also a contractor and talked about a few changes we want to make.  No one has lived there for about ten years so it could use a little love.

Monday we also had a Presidents Day lunch at Marianne's.  Besides the draw of my grandparents' little spot in paradise, I love spending more time with my parents and sisters and their families.  At the lunch we were all supposed to share a quote from a president.  It was heavy on Abraham Lincoln and Ronald Reagan but I mixed it up a little with an Obama quote Braeden sent me.  

I also contributed a quote by Abraham Lincoln:  All that I am or hope to be I owe to my angel mother.

It's true.

Adam and I drove home separately because we were bringing our van back after Olivia and Edgar borrowed it and Edgar made it cleaner than it's been in about ten years.  I listened to a podcast and talked to Mark on the phone.  I stopped in Salt Lake to take Emma birthday present shopping.  It was nice to be with her.  Shopping with her is less fraught than it used to be.  She mostly hates shopping but it was fun to be together.  We stopped in Bath and Body Works to smell candles because you can only look at clothes for so long.  

Adam had been behind me a bit but he joined us for dinner.  Over bowls of Cupbop, Emma told us more about her trip to California and about the Winchester Mansion which they visited and lived up to Emma's little girl dreams.  Adam told her about it when she was seven and she's been wanting to go ever since.

We love our grown girl and spending time with her is always nice.  It was also nice to go home and go to bed!

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails