Pages

Wednesday, February 23, 2022

These are the days..

...of winter not being done with us.  It has felt positively springlike and then it snowed again.  

...of being the old one.  We had a teacher work day yesterday and it was a "credit card lunch" which means that three administrators go three different places with a credit card and we can choose where to go and they buy us lunch.  It's a very creative and nuanced name...

I ended up at Kokonut's with a table full of young fresh faced ladies:  Kate and Miriam and the 4th grade teachers.  They started talking about the shows they watched as children and I was familiar with all of them because my children watched them too.  I said, "You're either really young or I am really old."

One of them, in her late 20s said, "I'm really behind."

I told her she wasn't and it wasn't a race.  Another said that she needed to find a hobby; something to do that mattered.  She said, "I want to be surrounded by people doing good things."

I told her she was.  I pointed around the table and said, "You're surrounded."

So I'm not only the old one, but I'm also the one who gives unsolicited advice to the young'ns when things get serious around the table at Kokonut's.  They're good women and good teachers and I don't want them to feel like they are less than anyone doing anything else.

...of thinking about Jacob and Esau.  I've been considering messes of potage and birthrights.  What do I trade that doesn't matter?  How am I spending my time that is wasting it?

...of reading training.  It's at once onerous and vitally important.  I want to be a better reading teacher.  It matters to me!  And I also don't want to sit for 6 hours and watch a computer screen.  Sitting is the worst and so is online learning.  Miriam and I shared a computer charger since she forgot hers.  We'd go back and forth to get the cord when things got dire for our batteries.  (We were all in our own classrooms.)  During one break I went and told Janelle I was losing my mind.  She concurred.  Another time I went and asked one of those young 4th grade teachers how to get my zoom link back when I lost it.  Those kids that did BYU online?  They know their way around zoom.

2 comments:

Janeal said...

Yes, that LETRS training was awful. Fortunately, we were able to do our training from home, so at least I could fold my laundry during the 8-minute breaks. Blessings to you!

Olivia Cobian said...

This made me feel like I'm moving up the technological ladder. I know how to get my Zoom link back, and I wasn't even in college during Covid (but I do teach on Zoom all the time now).

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails